£100k Inheritance

donnk

The doubling of money used to be estimated at 5 years in good funds but has slacked off a bit but over the last few years, the markets have had a very good time of it so it really depends on when you enter, how long you stay in and how well you select your funds.

I was making the point that a 30 year old has some 25+ years ahead of work so has the opportunity of making that £100k work for him so even on your 10 year estimation it would be £200K after 10 years, £400k after 20 years and perhaps £600k after 25.

Not too shabby but also not cast in stone and NOT guaranteed just a bit more lively than 1% from a bank savings account!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Hell yeah, if it doest work you just get a job!
I now treat life like those old pedal mopeds.
Sometimes you can cruise along and an odd time you have to pedal like mad then it’s back to cruising!
I’ve invested £100k in kit before and I wasn’t any better off so I’m not doing that again!

Yes if you grew your own fruit and veg & did the self sufficiency thing to keep out goings down.

Edited by NFG
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Forgive my ignorance spud, but how’d you double 100k in 10 years? 

Put it into your pension (over a few years if necessary) get 25% return straight away from government. Invest in stock market. Over the last century the UK stock market has returned 5% a year on average in real terms...

• Like 1

Put it into your pension (over a few years if necessary) get 25% return straight away from government. Invest in stock market. Over the last century the UK stock market has returned 5% a year on average in real terms...

Government puts in 20%, if you draw it out at 55 you can pay between 25-25% on the lump.
I put enough into a pension that I don’t notice.

• Like 1