Groundie truck and chipper feasible

mitchel

Hello,

Just wanted to see how many people do you think i would get wanting to use this services im a groundie with rescue ticket, ive got a nissan cabstar with a large arb back on good carrying capacity, small to large saws, rigging kit also a tracked barrow dont mind taking decent wood away to and chip. However toying with the idea of buying a timberwolf 150 on the pretense of hiring it out with me and my kit is this going to work or will i be left with everything gathering dust? i would also be looking to build my own jobs up hiring a climber in but that would take time. 

Thanks

mitch

That’s exactly what I did. 80% of my work is contracting. I started off with a Land Rover and tw150, climbing and rigging kit, full range of saws, brushcutters, mowers etc. Best thing is contact local tree surgeons and see if your services would be required. I had the advantage of already knowing a few people who worked on their own and usually trailered waste away. It’s the chipper people want, and it’s even more useful if you can climb and ground for someone if necessary. I don’t advertise chipper hire because I don’t chip garden shyte unless I made it because homeowners etc will expect it to chip anything including the kitchen sink. I always go with my kit.

• Like 1

I go out as climber/Groundie with and without my chipper.
Most people will be using you for the chipper and ability to take away chip/logs.
If your taking your own chipper out either you run it or take somebody you trust, never let unknown people use it as they will fuck it up.

Just make sure you have somewhere to keep the chipper locked up, somewhere to lose potentially a lot of chip

There are a lot of subcontract climbers out there that pick up bits and bobs of work for themselves and then struggle to parcel works together to make it worthwhile. 

Im sure that once you get to know some of the freelancers around, spending a day with one doing his small jobs and then the next with another is a commendable way to start pioneering your way into business. 

Make sure you know your baseline costs and work out work out a day rate that works for you and delivers some profit over and above allowances for breakages and general servicing and replacements. 

Communicate what you you expect from any climbers you’re preparing to work with and also what they can expect from you. 

I go out as climber/Groundie with and without my chipper.
Most people will be using you for the chipper and ability to take away chip/logs.
If your taking your own chipper out either you run it or take somebody you trust, never let unknown people use it as they will fuck it up.

Just make sure you have somewhere to keep the chipper locked up, somewhere to lose potentially a lot of chip
I've got 2 acres of scrub land I can spread it over and horsey people for gate areas.

I also have alot more equipment to that I don't mind including to give me that niche.

I rent a storage container in a secure yard with cctv and its only open till 8pm at night after that the gate is locked.

There are a lot of subcontract climbers out there that pick up bits and bobs of work for themselves and then struggle to parcel works together to make it worthwhile. 

Im sure that once you get to know some of the freelancers around, spending a day with one doing his small jobs and then the next with another is a commendable way to start pioneering your way into business. 

Make sure you know your baseline costs and work out work out a day rate that works for you and delivers some profit over and above allowances for breakages and general servicing and replacements. 

Communicate what you you expect from any climbers you’re preparing to work with and also what they can expect from you. 
was hoping that I also could work with gardeners and landscapers to.

I'm not sure I want to get into full time tree work and hire a climber in I would rather branch out into nicher categories.

The same process applies. 

When you’re stepping into entrepreneurship, you learn how to engage with people. You learn fast how to be effective and gradually you’ll learn how to build long-term symbiotic relationships with other contractors. 

If your values and and actions align with others, you’ll soon build a credible team of contractors who’ll support you and who you’ll support in turn. 

Youll gradually work out the type of work you prefer, how to price it properly and how to gently pass on or refuse work you don’t. 

When starting a business, most people who’re pretty handy will do just about anything to turn a shilling. Once your economy is sustainable, you can start to be selective about who you work with and the type of work you want to do. 

P

• Like 1