new digger option

donnk

On 25/01/2018 at 20:12, LGP Eddie said:

They are assembled here, and yes it’s one of the few places sheet steel still goes in one end and machines come out the other.

Obviously components come from all over the world, but JCB are simply the engine that powers the economy where I live.

The Engine plant is close, as is the Cab plant, with the A50 literally a main JCB artery and a great place to see kit.

They have good times and bad, seen massive layoffs and big Xmas bonus’s alike over the years, but they are on the up at present and so are the machines.

I specced an 8 tonner for a guy before Xmas, and the reality is nothing came close to what JCB could offer straight out of the factory to the exact spec required.

No messing about with third party suppliers to make modifications or buying components not required.

The price saving going this route was incredible, and the machine, an 85z turned out to be fantastic.

It’s in daily use in a Waste Transfer station, and is loaded up Saturday lunchtime for weekend duties on a Firewood operation and then back to the Transfer yard Monday.

Heading for about 700 hours already and no issues.?

I’m just starting a 6 tonner Project from them, should be a real nice bit of kit.?

I had a sneak look at their new large Excavator a couple of weeks back, someone forgot to cover it, and it’s going to be a bit of an eye opener, nothing like the current JS.

Eddie.

576720AE-D483-4CAD-90C9-9FA77506EB06.jpeg

D69E9DDF-5F9D-4C7B-92F2-8B7C29E7B118.jpeg

5391CE3D-F37B-49C5-B872-A84ACA851A3B.jpeg

Are JCB making any effort to sort the poor paint issue? It’s not an issue limited to JCB of course, but theirs is particularly poor, and let’s there new machines down badly.

5 minutes ago, Bogoak said:

Are JCB making any effort to sort the poor paint issue? It’s not an issue limited to JCB of course, but theirs is particularly poor, and let’s there new machines down badly.

5 minutes ago, Bogoak said:

Some rubbish paint out there on some premium brands. My own Kobelco isn't a patch on the Liebherr or the best I've ever come across, Kubota which needs an angle grinder to get to bare metal! Volvo is just primer I'm certain and a few brambles can have 100k of machine looking secondhand in seconds.

I think there's a clear split on what are the latest generation machines in terms of quality, the Hydradig is one clear example that really stands out as having moved up several notches, with their 8, 5 and now 1.5 tonne models having received the full treatment, but only time will tell if the paint sticks so to speak.

Quite how they used to be able to paint them no issues and then went backwards is a bit crazy, but you're not wrong it's been dire on some past models.

Eddie.

On 1/28/2018 at 21:38, LGP Eddie said:

Some rubbish paint out there on some premium brands. My own Kobelco isn't a patch on the Liebherr or the best I've ever come across, Kubota which needs an angle grinder to get to bare metal! Volvo is just primer I'm certain and a few brambles can have 100k of machine looking secondhand in seconds.

I think there's a clear split on what are the latest generation machines in terms of quality, the Hydradig is one clear example that really stands out as having moved up several notches, with their 8, 5 and now 1.5 tonne models having received the full treatment, but only time will tell if the paint sticks so to speak.

Quite how they used to be able to paint them no issues and then went backwards is a bit crazy, but you're not wrong it's been dire on some past models.

Eddie.

This photo was taken at Euro auctions yesterday; the machine is a 2014 model:image.jpeg.85ada8857a7cf26c89a855587439bcd7.jpeg

The Question I'd have to ask myself is-  if I spent £50k (or whatever) on a new machine, would I be happy for it to look like this after less than four years? I'm afraid that whilst ever JCB think this is acceptable, its highly unlikely that they'll be seeing any of my cash.

Sadly, this machine was part of a JCB line up, all showing similar issues.

• Like 1

Rightly or wrongly my local father-son digger-dealers state that the recent Hitachi diggers have pins made of "cheese",

it must be said I could not figure why such a reputable company would allow such a manufacturing defect to reach the market in sufficient numbers as to get noticed, or or get a change in the specification of their pin steel so wrong, but I do suppose "shit happens" bytimes.

mth

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, donnk said:

one of the reasons ive avoided jcb. None of the plant hire firms locally stock any of them as they say they are made of cheese.

Usual story and unlikely any have ran any for years now.

Again the example is a four year old machine, a huge amount has happened since then.

Makes no odds to me what brand snobbery anyone has, I get asked to spec all different makes of machines for people, some I question in my own mind why on earth they choose that brand, but it can be as simple as a good local dealer that sways them.

The 85z I specced is proving to be a classic example of a guy simply finding out for himself what’s currently on offer and so far having enough success to be placing an order for another.

I recently had a guy on about an 8 tonner, and he literally expected to get his thoughts on having a Kubota Kx080-4 alpha confirmed by me.

He was slightly surprised I didn’t even have it in my top three.

I’m not a stick of rock brand guy, Machines move on and some get left behind, you’ve got to lose the blinkers sometimes.

Eddie.

• Like 2

Have you tried the Alpha Eddie? I was thinking the whole point was to put to bed any shortcomings of the standard offering.

I had a good sniff around different makes  and models at Euro Auctions. The one machine that did impress was a Takeuchi 295w: that was an incredibly smooth operator! 

Everyone always goes on about Takeuchi having ‘cheese’ pins. I’m almost sure it’s down to lack of greasing because iv had 3 of them from used and one they been in my hands I’d say the pins haven’t deteriorated beyond reasonable expectations. I grease pins every day with a lunchtime top up on the bucket pins- not had any problems.

equally the Kubota paint job is said to be the best but talking to a Kubota owner op the other day his 6 ton machine had to go back whilst still under warranty because of bubbling paint work round the bonnet.

theres probably Friday afternoon machines in all brands but as the saying goes 1 unhappy customer will tell 10 and 10 happy customers will tell 1- or something along those lines!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bogoak said:

Have you tried the Alpha Eddie? I was thinking the whole point was to put to bed any shortcomings of the standard offering.

I had a good sniff around different makes  and models at Euro Auctions. The one machine that did impress was a Takeuchi 295w: that was an incredibly smooth operator! 

Yes been on the Alpha, does everything asked and a top quality machine, but the Dash 4 is showing it’s age now. 

I think the Takeuchi at present is the safer bet.

The Wacker Neuson ET90 is for the brave almost certainly class leader, and as discussing the JCB, who would have thought that possible from Neuson products 4 years ago?

Things move on, and we all like to think we bought the best out there. Plenty on here will remember the Blue and Red from the Tractor days, it’s just human nature.

Eddie.