How many AUS poles?

Arbtech Tree Services

Get (and use) a bottom rod - the main wear is in the joints and this is massively increased by people resting the bottom of the stack of rods on the floor (which isn’t a problem if it is just the bottom rod taking the wear, as that is what it’s for!). 

Keep them clean (especially in the joints) - flex and wasted effort comes from the rods moving independently of each other. 

Don’t get foam filled rods - I’ve never heard them referred to as heavy duty, if they are going to break the foam won’t prevent anything (we’ve broken foam filled  - they just snap at the bottom joint like non-foam filled). We use a foam filled top rod as it is insisted upon by the DNO we work for, otherwise we wouldn’t bother as they are more expensive, marginally heavier, and otherwise no different. 

I’d personally just get inters and not bother with a specific top rod. 7 inters and a bottom rod should be sufficient - if that’s not enough then climb on your tallest mate’s shoulders.

Learn to install ropes with the hook - it saves a lot of fannying around with throw bags. Don’t be tempted to use the sawhead as a hook as you will soon snap your blade. Get Stallion blades, they are cheaper to replace when you snap them (which you will). 

I've found the Jameson cutting head is loads better than the one that came with my pole set, but you do need to make an adapter.

For the record, we have only ever gone up to 8 poles (beyond the limit of my eyesight) and very wobbly. 

Edited by Shane
Keeping on thread

Thanks for that Shane.

Monkey, great info there - many thanks. AUS list Foam filled, Normal and Heavy Duty. F/F are £3 more each and H/D are £5 more each so I'm going for the heavy duty ones. Bottom poles are the same price as inters so I might as well but the top are more, especially the H/D ones.

Regards,

Steve.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arbtech Tree Services said:

Thanks for that Shane.

Monkey, great info there - many thanks. AUS list Foam filled, Normal and Heavy Duty. F/F are £3 more each and H/D are £5 more each so I'm going for the heavy duty ones. Bottom poles are the same price as inters so I might as well but the top are more, especially the H/D ones.

Regards,

Steve.

I don't used a bottom pole, just top and inters,

22 minutes ago, tree77 said:

I don't used a bottom pole, just top and inters,

It’s fine if you are careful with them and don’t bang the bottoms/rest the stack on the floor. We’ve had plenty fail because of wear as a result of ground impact damage (not necessarily broken, but worn down so don’t fit together tightly).  I go mad if I find the lads using them without a bottom rod to be honest!

3 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Totally different connector on the top of the top pole. AUS should make their tool adapters to fit both top and inters to be honest, it’s only machining one extra hole. 

i modified my saw head adaptor and hook so it fits on to the inters.

• Like 2