Arbpro foot ascender on spikes kit

Rupe

Anyone using the spikes adapter for Arbpro foot ascender? How does it stay in place!!??

Tried it today and it slips up the shank (is that the word) of the spikes. Very difficult to get it on tight enough. 

Can I drill through the carbon fibre and put a bolt through to hold it on place? 

20180116_121300.jpg

20180116_103545.jpg

my initial thoughts are would it clamp tighter if you used Duck tape around the carbon fiber shank a couple of times before clamping it?

I guess worst case is the Duck tape adhesive could degrade the resin, but I doubt it, anyway spikes are dear but not ppe, so even drilling is not the end of the world. Different diameter bolts have different torques before the thread strips, maybe even a 2 mm stainless bolt M2 off ebay would be enough to stop it sliding up, in addition to the clamp and perhaps Duck tape too, belt and braces.

I guess with the Duck tape there is a limit to how tight you can clamp it without crushing the carbon fibre, but from what I've seen of carbon fibre it can take some considerable forces

On seconds thoughts - no I don't think its best to use the smallest diameter bolt if you do decide to drill it off - if the clamp slips with it bolted all your weight will be on a very small diameter so increased pressure on the carbon fibre - a bolt similar size to the spike ones better, personally I would try the Duck tape first

Interesting about the kiwiclimber spike sender, didn't imagine it would pop out, was on my wishlist, looks like the Arbpro is a better option

Edited by tree-fancier123

Thank you. Yes ductape might work. Seems a bit temporary but worth a try. I was thinking 4 or 5mm bolt just above the clamp so it butts up to it and can go no further.
With regard to the ascenders, my kiwi climber is an old model, it maybe that new ones are better. Sobe ascenders have a hole you put a karabiner in but that's a pain to do. I've used petzl panting for years and they are ok but I've only used for Ddrt. I bought the arbpro and I have the boots for it too. It's the best I've used for sure and the boots are good. Do being a key to put the same ascender on my spikes will be good once this issue is sorted.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, I tightened it by hand only using Allen key. A 3/8th extension bar and socket might help but yes I don't want to crush the cf.
The bracket is stainless steel and very heavy for what it is which is a shame on cf geckos!!!

It looks quite a unit on there rupe ! Could not get on with the kiwi climbers version , even drilled a hole for a small Binet so it would not jump out but fiddling about with it when you wanted the rope was not really working for me.. would be interested to see how you get on with this version.

2 hours ago, Rupe said:

Thank you. Yes ductape might work. Seems a bit temporary but worth a try. I was thinking 4 or 5mm bolt just above the clamp so it butts up to it and can go no further.
With regard to the ascenders, my kiwi climber is an old model, it maybe that new ones are better. Sobe ascenders have a hole you put a karabiner in but that's a pain to do. I've used petzl panting for years and they are ok but I've only used for Ddrt. I bought the arbpro and I have the boots for it too. It's the best I've used for sure and the boots are good. Do being a key to put the same ascender on my spikes will be good once this issue is sorted.

Thanks for your help.

Could be worth trying self amalgamating tape as it's quite thin and sticky. A bit on the shank and the arbpro device might help the grip. That or some panel bonding adhesive, one used for carbon fibre rather than go down the drilling and bolt as it might start to weaken the carbon fibre with the device banging against the bolt. Ie elongate the bolt hole.

Good idea. I had some of that somewhere. I think though if the bolt was in the right place it wouldn't bang against it, rather just have constant pressure but I am trying to avoid drilling so the tape is a good plan.