Gobby punk had an accident p

gobbypunk

On 2/27/2018 at 10:54, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys just a quick update went to the hospital yesterday and saw the top surgeon who put me back together , he was going to give me one of those removable boots then bloody changed his mind and I am in plaster for another 4 f###ing weeks then a boot , loads of strange feelings in my foot ,numb, tingly,wet it’s very odd , but at least I can start to put some weight on my leg will keep you all informed as I mend thanks for all your kind words 

Cheers Mark

They didn't give you a boot because they knew you'd be out and about straight away, probably read this forum!

Hope you mend soon.

• Like 1

Hi Forest I think you may be right as to start with the surgeon was going to give me a boot then says something about the type of work that I do and wanting to make sure I heal properly as I broke and dislocated my talus and apparently that doesn’t happen hardly ever the only one the Doc has ever done himself and he is the chief orthopaedic surgeon in Salisbury hospital apparently once you have dislocated something it can happen again quite easily if it’s not healed properly and there is no way I want that to happen,fed up though first deep snow in yrs and I can’t go play in it we have an ideal hill for sledging and I can’t go but hey on the mend was at my workshop on Tuesday only the 2nd time scinc my accident and managed some chainsaw work sat in my wheelchair cool as , so take care out there in this don’t want any of you to end up like me or worse 

Cheers Guys.    Mark

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2018 at 10:54, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys just a quick update went to the hospital yesterday and saw the top surgeon who put me back together , he was going to give me one of those removable boots then bloody changed his mind and I am in plaster for another 4 f###ing weeks then a boot , loads of strange feelings in my foot ,numb, tingly,wet it’s very odd , but at least I can start to put some weight on my leg will keep you all informed as I mend thanks for all your kind words 

Cheers Mark

So good news, sort of.

It's not a lot of consolation, but four weeks is a very small percentage of the rest of your life. Let it mend properly, even if you're gnashing at the bit to get on and do things, and reduce the risk of complications later.

ATB Gary

• Like 2

Hey Mark.
A couple of weeks after you took your fall I had an ankle fusion done. My no weight bearing time is similar to yours. After the first 2 weeks the crutches were driving me absolutely berserk - just from not being able to carry anything at the same time as using them. I came across a device called the iwalk 2.0 .
What a gamechanger. I walk around everywhere carrying buckets of coal, baskets of logs, cut logs with the chainsaw , cooking , cups of tea and going up and down stairs far more safely than using the crutches.
It cost me €149 vat and post free. Well worth it for the independence. They also have a good enough resale value having watched a couple go through ebay.
I go to see my consultant next Thursday for the 6 week review. I'm hoping to go into the aircast boot, to get rid of this bloody itchy cast, but am expecting him to say its cast on for a further length of time, as others have said, to stop me attempting to go back to work, or to keep me off the farm !!
Link to iwalk.
www. Iwalk-free.com
For a small cost its be a real life saver. - my wife would have throttled me in my sleep weeks ago. Take a look.
Best of luck
Shaun

Hi Shaun wow that walk free is so cool could deform use one of those I could get back to doing some work they should totally be available from the hospital I know £150 isn't much but 2 months not working and a few more to come I just don't have the cash to buy one , such a shame I will give the occupational therapy people a call and see if they can help me.Will you walk ok after the fuse as my surgeon has said to me that either I will walk with a limp and it will ache or it will hurt like F##K and I will have to have my ankle fused what happened to you to have that done hope you mend quick don't push it though let it heal that's what everyone has been saying to me , and now we have snow and I can't go play in it  Thanks for the heads up on the walk free

All the best Mark

Mark.
Try having a look to see if any of the disability aids people do rentals of them, the guys here in Ireland do but to be honest it actually didn't work out any cheaper. I'm sure there's a couple on ebay at moment. The couple that I observed selling a few weeks ago seemed to max out at about £90. I kept an eye on them just to check whether there would be any resale value in mine when the time comes. I know what you mean about the cost at this time, being self employed and contract mobile sawmilling being my only income, plus a whole nightmare of unexpected costs dropping in just before the operation.
My fusion came from a broken ankle that I didn't know I'd done many years ago. Being self employed ground maintenance at that time I just strapped it up and pretty much worked with ibuprofen assistance, whilst through misalignment the cartilage was being consumed.- one of my big life mistakes!
Consultant 3yrs ago said "one day I'd come to him begging to have the op done" but due to its permanancy the time would be my choice. That day came last November after 2 weeks of continuous milling.
They reckon you can hardly spot someone who's had the fusion done, though I may have to change walking style on slopes and hills. Could make my life as hill farmer tricky. Thank goodness for quad bike.
It does transfer loading to other joints both in the foot and to knees and hips. Good and correct footwear will have a big bearing on comfort in the future.
I reckon on another 3 months before I can think of restarting work. The guidance for fusion is return to work after 3 months but that's for normal less loading occupations. 4 months post op will hopefully see the joint able to take the pressure again for me .
One real benefit of the iwalk is it gets both legs ,hips etc working and exercising as almost normal so muscle attrophy, and therefore physio requirements are very much reduced, which will get you back to working condition so much sooner.
I would really strongly say if you can find the funds, buy or rent one. The independence it gives is a real boost to the self esteem.
Only downside for me being a real skinny git is it can be tough on the shinbone where the cast finishes and presses in.
Good luck and keep in touch
Shaun

Cool as but totally unfair yeah got to get me one of those iwalk things I have some things I have made 3 nice mirrors a round table will post some pics and see if anybody is interested hope you had fun in the snow 

All the best Mark

Hey sorry to have upset you. It wasn't quite the fun I would have liked - the wife was close by threatening dreadful things if she heard me really open the throttle, and my own (at long last) realisation that if I span off or lost it on the corners I could do serious damage to the newly growing bone joints or bust the other leg.
You do have at least 2 things ahead of me in that you have an artistic touch in the things you produce, and a workshop you can do stuff in. Mine is stuffed full- I can't even see the top of the workbench. Maybe thats something I can deal with over the next few months. I don't think the artistry will ever come though.
Good luck
Shaun