Startup requirements?

Godfish

A 3.5 ton truck,8" tow behind chipper plus a stump grinder.

Then spend 10k on advertising.

When i started up 10 years ago,i spent 40k of my own money. But the competition was scarce then and it enabled me to hit the ground running.

I was spending 1200 quid a month on advertising at the time.

This is what I was thinking.
Did you hit the ground running, plenty good work?

Where were your best returns from in regards to advertising? :)

in relation to your current employer what kind of work do you mainly do commercial, utilities or domestic? also how many office staff do you have and do they have many accreditations

No accreditation, no office staff, 70/30 domestic commercial I started out of college here as I knew the science but no idea how to actually do the job. Went from 3 including myself and boss man to 6 full time staff and 8 subbies in 5 years
  • Thanks 1

Work generation is pretty important (don't take it for granted) - I reckon more vital than kit.  How you do this is up to you but your background will stand you in good stead.  Keeping a business busy (doing well priced jobs) may be harder than any actual tree work you will do.  Be clever and good luck.

50k isn't as much as it sounds especially without any money coming in, and insurances, taxes, advertising to constantly pay

Very few "need" a 4x4. don't be tempted by the "want" of one. do what makes money not what nessaraly whats cool.

What would i do differently?

If in the uk i wouldn't have brought a new hilux (33k) but a 3?yr old cabstar/fuso style tipper + simple highsides sign written hopefully within 15k. 

Again, if still in the UK i wouldn't have brought a 2nd hand tracked chipper (12k) and 2nd hand tipping trailer (6k) but a new 8inch tow behind

Saws needed - 150t 10", 201t 14", 560xpg 15+18",  661 25+36". thats a couple k there! in the uk you'd be needing hedge cutters and ladders too

basic rigging kit

Don't forget boring stuff like signs and cones, pension plan, consumables, ppe, waterproofs, blower, rakes

I'd have without a doubt built up a strong relationship with a good web guru and spent thousands on a website and web marketing/local advertising.

A good accountant is a must (mines also a business consultant and she's been ace)

I wouldn't have survived if it wast'nt for subby climbing for others, but then, i didn't do any advertising other than leaflets

If its just more money, do a few loads of logs a month if your current co doesn't do logs that is. ordinary car, small trailer, and little petrol splitter 

Think, just because your current employer is rapidly expanding, doesn't mean the owners are making more profit!

• Like 2

your going about this wrong.

First is to make a plan, what is your goal for turnover and profit in 3,6,12 months etc ?

Then make a plan to achieve it which could involve costing kit for the types of job you are looking at and making a judgement on profit/cost for that kit.

The amount of startup money should be a secondary issue. 

Cart before the horse mate and good luck in your venture.