Startup requirements?

Godfish

Hi, I’ve been working full time employed 5 days a week for 5 years now as an arborist, i am very well payed by industry standards and staff privileges are great; I would however like to start on my own as I see it as the only way of increasing my monthly take home.

In my ignorance I ask these 2 questions...

If you were starting your business over a fresh what would you have done differently?

If you had £50,000 cash to startup and only a full climbers kit and top handle, what would you prioritise in terms of kit and survival for bumpy first year or 2?

1 hour ago, Godfish said:

Hi, I’ve been working full time employed 5 days a week for 5 years now as an arborist, i am very well payed by industry standards and staff privileges are great; I would however like to start on my own as I see it as the only way of increasing my monthly take home.

In my ignorance I ask these 2 questions...

If you were starting your business over a fresh what would you have done differently?

If you had £50,000 cash to startup and only a full climbers kit and top handle, what would you prioritise in terms of kit and survival for bumpy first year or 2?

If that money has been saved from your salary I’d a) stay put or b) mirror image what they are doing and aim to be as successful. 

In answer to your actual question though, truck and chipper..I would buy brand new, present a nice clean image.  I would get both these on 0% finance but put the value of them into a savings account to fall back on.  There would be more than enough left over to buy the extra saws you need to start out.  Anything else you need price it into the work and buy it as you need it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

In answer to your actual question though, truck and chipper..I would buy brand new, present a nice clean image.  I would get both these on 0% finance but put the value of them into a savings account to fall back on.  There would be more than enough left over to buy the extra saws you need to start out.  Anything else you need price it into the work and buy it as you need it

Would you do this from the 'get Go'?

buy new?  yes if I was sitting on 50k.

I have been down the old knackered truck route and aside from costing you money in repairs it costs you way more in down time and disgruntled customers.  This is coming from someone who can just about change a spark plug at a push.  perhaps if you are more mechanically minded a worn out piece of crap is a viable option

• Like 2