Marlow Gecko

Mark Wileman

I'm following Marlow's guidlines for splicing thier Gecko rope.

I've got the core through fine, now I need to get a fid inbetween the core and sheath and pull the spare sheath back through, the problem is Marlow Gecko is so tight I can't even get a single wire fid through. Any tips for milking back enough to get some room? I've tried running a prussik down all 40 metres of rope and still not much play.

Yeah, You would have alpine butterfly tied, then working your way up towards the "splice" end of the rope, you'll have the core strands exiting, then just the cover with the eye formed into it and the cover strands exiting the body of the rope. Hopefully this pictures shows what I mean. ( I know its different rope) Pull the core strands that I have daisy chained here, this should make enough space to get the fid through.*

*once this is done, you are then in the best position to thrown the Gecko in the bin and grab a nice rope!!

• Haha 1

The construction of gecko has been changed as apparently it was a  nightmare to splice, as you have discovered.! The latest rope, gecko 2 is supposedly easier to splice. Not much help I know but if you get stuck give marlow ropes a shout, they are very helpful and will no doubt point you in the right direction as it is all spliced in house by hand.

On 14/01/2018 at 23:31, Mark_Skyland said:

The construction of gecko has been changed as apparently it was a  nightmare to splice, as you have discovered.! The latest rope, gecko 2 is supposedly easier to splice. Not much help I know but if you get stuck give marlow ropes a shout, they are very helpful and will no doubt point you in the right direction as it is all spliced in house by hand.

I guess they've changed the core fibres from braided to parallel?