Single wheel rear axle tippers

lux

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with the Relay Toxteth, I have a 2.2 hdi Relay crewcab tipper, front wheel drive, single rear wheels with all terrain tyres, very capable machine considering the small cc. Yes it is rubbish off tarmac but my old transit was just as bad. I haven't noticed any towing issues myself but then I only tow a mid sized chipper behind it. The fact that there is no prop shaft or diff between the chassis rails, and the exhaust is side exit under the cab means loads of room for storage under the tipper body.

20170815_202903_resized.jpg

Resized_20170909_122843.jpeg

• Like 1

Bad luck or not these vans are not driven by me so perhaps have a harder life  than perhaps they deserve . Towing I agree , mid size or our quad chip no problems but when you start towing tracked chippers it doesn't like it so much . good set up I think , large tool box and good size cage for grass  or chip if we need and plenty of hp  . My lads just don't seem to like it though . 

relay1.jpg

Basically yr tyres set the weight you can drive - hence doubling up rear tyres on big lorries - if yr overweight -its yr tyre load bearing yr done on . ( Worth checking yr tyres max load  if you aint ever checked ) Hence alloy chip box bodies mean you can carry more - but a wet load of conifer chip soon puts you overweight ! K

Basically yr tyres set the weight you can drive - hence doubling up rear tyres on big lorries - if yr overweight -its yr tyre load bearing yr done on . ( Worth checking yr tyres max load  if you aint ever checked ) Hence alloy chip box bodies mean you can carry more - but a wet load of conifer chip soon puts you overweight ! K

That's incorrect. It's done on all the plated weights set for the vehicle. Mam/train weight/individual actual weights etc. Etc.
Exceeding a manufacturers load rating on a tyre is an offence but would not be prosecuted under excess weight offences. It would constitute unsuitable use / dangerous condition under RTA and con and use regs.

• Thanks 1

Going to have a look at a seemingly tidy single wheel transit. Nice set up with tool looker etc. Decent hp and rwd. Can't seem to find and chunky tyres with a high load rating at the mo so maybe just mud /snow are best option available.