Single wheel rear axle tippers

lux

Looking at some vans at the moment. Always considered those with twin rear wheels get much better traction on grass etc. Not looking for an off road specific vehicle as already have that but just wanted other views on vans such as sprinters / crafters etc in comparison to the good old transit and iveco.

Do they spin up as soon as they look at a patch of grass or are people getting on ok with them ??

Cheers

I had a single wheeled 5300kg Transit on my fleet before I went to work for GreenMech. Just as capable as a twin wheeled Transit and possibly slightly better on grass as the thin tyre cut through to get a grip. Is having an off-road capability your thing? If so, get a proper 4x4 and leave more stuff on site.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I had a single wheeled 5300kg Transit on my fleet before I went to work for GreenMech. Just as capable as a twin wheeled Transit and possibly slightly better on grass as the thin tyre cut through to get a grip. Is having an off-road capability your thing? If so, get a proper 4x4 and leave more stuff on site.

Is that 3500kg typed with two fingers out of sync?

I'd always thought the only reason for twin wheels was  to allow the load to be better distributed, the single wheels mean to get a capacity load it has to be split exactly right between front and back, with the twin wheel the  back end could take 2.4 tonnes. With the FWD versions there's only about 100kg difference.

• Like 1

No. It's not for off road. I already have 4x4 vehicles. Ive always been of the train of thought that the larger foot print of the twin wheels helped with traction in circumstances such as pulling a chipper onto grass etc. As already stated not considering it for specific off road use, quite like the look of sprinters but didn't want to buy something that is useless on grass / tracks etc.
Sprinters come in 4x4 so I assume there will be all terrains available for it which would help
Any one got a sprinter / crafter etc and found them or a problem or have they been good purchases ?
Ta

We use a couple of Sprinter beavertails to deliver and collect wood chippers. If I was needing a chip truck, I'd go for it. But, don't write off getting an O licence and getting something that can carry!

• Like 1

I went down the route of a single wheel fwd citroen relay 3.0 tipper to run along side the transit . My experience is the citroen does not handle the weight so well as the transit at all, also towing does not feel so good . I don't have the knowledge to tell you why this is but it is . We burnt out a clutch and blew a gearbox and flywheel between 50 to 90 thousand but this often happens to tippers when working them hard . 

On the plus side it is quieter to drive with less transmission noise and works fine for our GM work lugging cut grass and towing the mower . 

As pete said maybe look at an O license truck which we are if weight is going to be an issue. 

Edited by Toxteth O,Grady
Grammar