Using a foot ascender efficiently

just wanna climb

Hi guys,

I have just got a haas ascent system and I’m finding that the foot ascender is not tending the slack efficiently, It just pulles the rope up as I go.

I know that if I get a bit higher it will feed better but by the time I have foot locked to a descent height I my as well just go the whole way (which I was hoping this would prevent)

Is there maybe a technique that I’m missing, someone mentioni a bicycle motion?

thanks

So your using the haas as well as a foot ascender? It should work ,mine system will tend efficiently at around 2-3m.
The trick is and it’s not some thing I do often my self unless there is a lot of thriffy growth in the way messing up my ascent by taking weight off the tail is tie a heavy throw bag on the tail so it’s hanging a few feet off the ground and keeping it taught... failing that I’ll get the groundy to keep the tail tight for a few metres , it think the technique will come the more you do it with out realising... I’m not sure there is one tbh just practice until you get to where it should be with a throw bag on the tail.
What rope are you using ?

• Like 1

Sometimes, the leg of you trousers might hinder the line of the rope into the ascender.  A bit of weight usually does the job.  I some times tie a closed bag on the end or clip my chainsaw to the line off the floor of course and when you get a bit higher just pull it up.