A fox for tea..

Vespasian

2 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

You get more pastilles in a packet than giraffes, easy observation for identification :thumbup1:

Soooo, If I understand you correctly, lots in the packet equals fruit pastilles, not lots in the packet equals giraffes?

Makes sense.

That's really helpful Gary, thanks.:thumbup:

I love that fly fishing fox watching story Matty, I remember you telling me.

I’ve shot plenty back in the day, and totally appreciate the need for control, but wouldn’t now unless there was a really specific need.

There’s a lot of people out there indiscriminately blatting everything without knowing how foxes work.

Take out an alpha dog and you get a surfeit of pretenders moving in vying for his territory, and you get more problems.

Seeing a fox out on a walk now is far more satisfying to me than not seeing one. It’s rare, because Dutchie hates foxes!

We met one in heavy snow up the woods a few years back, it just trotted up the ride towards both of us, jinked slightly to avoid a head-on, and gave us an ‘Alright?’ glance as he passed a few yards away.

Weirdly, Dutchie sort of did the same.

Magical.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I love that fly fishing fox watching story Matty, I remember you telling me.

I’ve shot plenty back in the day, and totally appreciate the need for control, but wouldn’t now unless there was a really specific need.

There’s a lot of people out there indiscriminately blatting everything without knowing how foxes work.

Take out an alpha dog and you get a surfeit of pretenders moving in vying for his territory, and you get more problems.

Seeing a fox out on a walk now is far more satisfying to me than not seeing one. It’s rare, because Dutchie hates foxes!

We met one in heavy snow up the woods a few years back, it just trotted up the ride towards both of us, jinked slightly to avoid a head-on, and gave us an ‘Alright?’ glance as he passed a few yards away.

Weirdly, Dutchie sort of did the same.

Magical.

I feel the same mate , having done pretty much the same .

• Like 1

During football training on a Tuesday night (early nineties) at the playing fields in Rudgwick there was a fox that used to sit behind the goals and chase the footballs when we missed the target (it got a lot of exercise) 

I watched the same animal playing with a Labrador that it knew.

At that time the rabbits were so plentiful that it had a lot of free time on its hands/paws.

• Like 1

Aye mark the alpha dog fox is boss.. when I lived down south In the woods next to a big pheasant pen the keeper of the shoot was an ex marine who had been in the Korean War , an entire encyclopaedia of anything country and life related .. I told him I had seen this big dog fox the size of an Alsatian close to the house and near the pheasant pens and he should shoot it... he looked at me funny and his reply was this , if you shoot that big fox you will get a hundred more come in and take his territory, he is the boss he controls every things around here.

So I didn’t shoot the fox but some one else did ... within a week we had the chickens gone , the fox went through wire ripping itself apart in desperation to get them.. another keeper locally reckoned he had shot around 100 foxes in the same week trying to move in...that big old dog fox whilst he still had strength had kept out all the young pretenders .. personally I have no bother with fox hunting, in nature the weakest get taken out and a pack of hounds will never catch a heathy fox upsetting natures balance... predators keep a balance doing what they do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm not anti hunting by any stretch of the imagination, I just choose not to do it any more. Although I went along to the Boxing Day hunt as a spectator last year.

What Matty says is correct a healthy fox won't get caught by a pack of hounds.

Unless bolt holes have been blocked, which I've seen more than once. Not fair game in my mind.

• Like 5