A fox for tea..

Vespasian

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

That’s a ridiculous waste of land.

Why people can’t just buy their beef at supermarkets like the rest of us is beyond me.

Those bastard farmers have a lot to answer for.

xD

I'm not having a go at farmers. I just think we should put a bit more consideration into the life cycle of our meat and view it as more of a luxury than a cheap staple, unless you rear/shoot your own.

If everyone visited an intensive pig farm, a mega dairy, an abbatoir and a battery chicken complex I'm pretty sure people would be shocked and cheap meat and dairy consumption would plummet.

• Like 3

The oddest encounter I ever had with a fox was in Manchester Smithfield market. I was delivering baskets of gooseberries and as I unloaded them (by hand) a fox sauntered along the alley where I was, walked up to the stack of gooseberry baskets not 3 feet from me, sniffed them, pissed on them, gave me a F* you look and sauntered on his way.

Typical Manc really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

[emoji23]

I'm not having a go at farmers. I just think we should put a bit more consideration into the life cycle of our meat and view it as more of a luxury than a cheap staple, unless you rear/shoot your own.

If everyone visited an intensive pig farm, a mega dairy, an abbatoir and a battery chicken complex I'm pretty sure people would be shocked and cheap meat and dairy consumption would plummet.

Right there , out of a trip of nostalgia I visited some cattle sheds I had seen my father birth a calf when I was about 8 ... they had been bull dozed and in its place a great big automated piggery ... I looked inside and saw at least 3 dead animals , the building breathed with the sun direction and dropped Feed at certain times of the day , the whole thing was automated ... I became a Vegy for three years after .. now I do eat meat but want to know it’s source... and to be honest would rather rear or shoot what I eat altogether.. no excuses really the whole industry is unethical.

Had plenty of encounters with foxes over the years and most of them not nice but one interesting one was last year when I was wading in the North tyne fishing approaching a well known salmon lie and I clocked a fox on the other bank.. he was not so much watching me but what I was doing , kind of like teasing a dog with food watching it’s head movements it was watching my casting and what I was doing , spent a good 40 mins with him watching me until dog walkers came and he disappeared.. amazed me his brazenness to stand out in the open and show behaviour I would expect of my dog.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Right there , out of a trip of nostalgia I visited some cattle sheds I had seen my father birth a calf when I was about 8 ... they had been bull dozed and in its place a great big automated piggery ... I looked inside and saw at least 3 dead animals , the building breathed with the sun direction and dropped Feed at certain times of the day , the whole thing was automated ... I became a Vegy for three years after .. now I do eat meat but want to know it’s source... and to be honest would rather rear or shoot what I eat altogether.. no excuses really the whole industry is unethical.

Had plenty of encounters with foxes over the years and most of them not nice but one interesting one was last year when I was wading in the North tyne fishing approaching a well known salmon lie and I clocked a fox on the other bank.. he was not so much watching me but what I was doing , kind of like teasing a dog with food watching it’s head movements it was watching my casting and what I was doing , spent a good 40 mins with him watching me until dog walkers came and he disappeared.. amazed me his brazenness to stand out in the open and show behaviour I would expect of my dog.

Great story, I love moments with nature like that in life.

Totally agree on the meat thing, unfortunately this extends to dairy too which is damned inconvenient. 

In an ideal world we would all rear/shoot our own meat. Unfortunately this is simply not workable for a number of reasons. Lab grown meat is a fantastic potential solution if you care about animal welfare and planet sustainability. Presumably they could do the same for cow's milk too.

• Like 1