Using aspen in a woodchipper

MAPLE LEAF

I have just got myself a green mech cs100 and won’t be using it on a daily basis and wondering if anybody uses aspen in there woodchipper. 

Just trying to look after my chipper for as long as I can and won’t have to remove any old petrol before starting up if the machine has been stored for a while.

would using aspen effect my warrantee?

Edited by MAPLE LEAF

Thanks for the reply. Didn’t have a cost on aspen at the moment. What would anybody recommend to do if chipper was to be stored for a while to keep it running good. I’m looking to use it as much as possible but I do garden maintenance as well  so may not use much during the summer months.

7 hours ago, scbk said:

You most have deep pockets, you could use 20-30l of petrol for a full days chipping! So in aspen that would be £80-£120!!

And it's not wise to be switching between petrol and aspen (imo) as the petrol softens the rubbers and the aspen hardens it up.

You would be doing well to use £15 worth of petrol in a small chipper like a CS100 as they are frugal and are a very small chipper.

I would just use normal fuel , I do not think larger carbs are as prone to petrol issues as the smaller ones in two strokes... obviously stale fuel is not great so I would probably drain it if it’s been in there for months to be safe... it would be cheaper to get it gold plated than run it on aspen though.

• Like 2

There is no doubt that the best thing would be to run it on Aspen, after all the fuel will always be fresh and clean. In addition the upper cylinder and exhaust will stay in perfect condition and free from carbon, and even more advantageous is the fact that the oil will stay clean. The atmosphere you work in when feeding the chipper will be much more pleasant also.

In short, a win-win situation, but as said before, these benefits come at a price.

Only you can decide if the benefits are worth the cost to you.

• Like 2

As said, mixing the fuels is not a good thing. Essentially, use ordinary fuel and when you are doing the last job, turn off the fuel tap and let it run out. Ideally, don't leave a load in the tank. When you next go to use it, put done new, fresh stuff in and after a bit of cranking, it should be a good un!

Good question to ask too. A few machinery dealers who 'winter service' machines either add an additive or point out that if it doesn't start, drain/flush and refill!