Tell me this isn't rippled sycamore?

billpierce

Someone was talking bout this being valuable so was looking for pictures  of how to recognize if its in trees if you are felling  them etc.

Also its it more likely in trees  in exposed windy location?

oiled-ripple-sycamore1.jpg

That’s a slight ripple.
Yes it is expensive, but only if it’s big enough for production.
Ie table size, or guitar size etc.
[emoji106]

6 hours ago, Stere said:

Someone was talking bout this being valuable so was looking for pictures  of how to recognize if its in trees if you are felling  them etc.

Also its it more likely in trees  in exposed windy location?

Ripple sycamore | jonathan field furniture

If you are looking for it in standing/ felled trees you knock a small area of bark off around chest height  and shade the area and you can see the ripple. A lot of the old roadside trees will show in the bark where a diamond has been cut out of the bark, checked for ripple then the bark replaced, this was from the export market was strong for veneer trees and French and German buyers used to seek permission from landowners to check for ripple with a view to buying them. 

Often you can find ripple in a tree on one side, and sometimes at different heights, so ripple could be showing at say 3foot, but not at 5 foot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ESS said:

If you are looking for it in standing/ felled trees you knock a small area of bark off around chest height  and shade the area and you can see the ripple. A lot of the old roadside trees will show in the bark where a diamond has been cut out of the bark, checked for ripple then the bark replaced, this was from the export market was strong for veneer trees and French and German buyers used to seek permission from landowners to check for ripple with a view to buying them. 

Often you can find ripple in a tree on one side, and sometimes at different heights, so ripple could be showing at say 3foot, but not at 5 foot.

Did you fell for Alphonse too? Mind he never asked for permission and I was appalled.

9 hours ago, Stere said:

Interesting thanks

True figure shows quite clearly as squiggly grain.

There tends to be more use of the word figure since the popularity of live edge increased , the figuring described in boards is very different to the figure in a sycamore. 

Reading back through the thread i see mention of some boards being figured at one end, this is likely to be root figure that runs in from the toes of the trees, that is why sycamore need to be checked higher up.

There are very few logs that make the grade as buyers are looking for pure logs with no brown staining or green streak of a minimum circumference.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Also compression figure and hillside/slope stuff/reaction wood will often show it but proper figure is genetic and from the day it starts of as a sapling to the end of its life, someone once said to me it’s like us, some have straight hair some curly, the Germans have been experimenting with cloning for veneer production for years as they also do for masur/curly birch in Finland etc.

16 hours ago, WADKIN said:

Also compression figure and hillside/slope stuff/reaction wood will often show it but proper figure is genetic and from the day it starts of as a sapling to the end of its life, someone once said to me it’s like us, some have straight hair some curly, the Germans have been experimenting with cloning for veneer production for years as they also do for masur/curly birch in Finland etc.

I saw a group of saplings all with the same curved trunk once, when doing a thinning job. The forestry guy I was working for said that they were most likely all siblings, i.e. all seeds from the same mother tree. That obviously supports the genetic theory but I don't understand how a curved trunk can be an evolutionary advantage. Though saying that genetic traits aren't necessarily advantageous so it's probably a moot point.