Oxdale se 400 log splitter

georgehowson

Hi there. Similar to previous post. I fancy an oxdale se 400 due to apparent quality, the general design and speed. However my only concern is will it be powerful enough with 10 ton as I see a lot of splitters higher than that? I sometimes  split rounds upto 3 or 4 foot diameter in foot lengths, sometimes seasoned.  Wondered if anyone on here has experience of this model and thoughts? Many thanks.

I have the tractor mounted Oxdale, same thing but works off tractor hydraulics and rated at 10 ton.

Wonderful machine, it won't slice through really knotty stuff but then I wouldn't expect it to. Pick your spot and it will do it.

A bit like splitting with an axe if you hit the wrong spot it will never split, get it right and it will.

Width of ring isn't an issue but lifting them onto the table might be, I lower mine right to the floor for big rings. Nearly all mine is split to 17" logs as that is all that will fit under the raised blade and fit nicely into my fire. 12" will be a doddle.

I have got another splitter that in theory is better but I usually go back to the Oxdale, especially for bigger rings.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the rt 400 and some how the splitting head/wedge whatever you call it got bent, not sure how but it either happened by twisting/slipping or someone bent it by trying to knock a lump off that got wedged on, as peasgood said as long as you pick your spot it should deal with most rings but I’d avoid seasoned eucy if I were you.

One problem we did have was that almost every hydraulic connection worked loose over the first winter so I’d give everything a tweak before you start if you do get one.

We have that version of Oxdale,and yes will need to adjust the allen key screw on the block to get her up to power,should split most stuff once adjusted,one of the fastest splitters i have ever used and would not be without it.

I have had some welding to the ram mounts as it broke off however it has been working for 4 years flat out,and would buy another Oxdale tomorrow they are very fast..

8 minutes ago, defender tipper said:

We have that version of Oxdale,and yes will need to adjust the allen key screw on the block to get her up to power,should split most stuff once adjusted,one of the fastest splitters i have ever used and would not be without it.

I have had some welding to the ram mounts as it broke off however it has been working for 4 years flat out,and would buy another Oxdale tomorrow they are very fast..

Out of interest, why do they not set it up at the factory to be up to power?

I used to have a 400 and my dad had has the PTO version.

i wouldn’t say they were a machine for the professional firewood merchant, the build quality is probably not up to regular heavy use. They are however a pretty good economical alternative and my dad has split plenty with his without issue over the last 8 years. 

If your tractor has the hydraulic omph look at the split fire splitters- different ballgame interms of engineering quality but also quick as you you alternate as can split each side of the splitting head- less waiting around for ram to retract.