Extreme Beginner - Tips?

CallumGNC

New to the site and new to tree surgery! I'm 26 and looking for a complete career change but I am wondering about a few things. Firstly, how easy would it be to get work with just my CS30 and CS31 certificates? I'm looking at getting the qualifications next month with a view to getting the CS38 and CS39 certificates later on in the year when I can afford them. I have experience with a chainsaw in just cutting logs and general chainsaw maintenance, but honestly I'm pretty much brand new to it all.

Secondly, are the courses worth anything abroad? Looking to emigrate in the next few years to either Canada or New Zealand.

Thirdly, who should I do the courses with?

Thanks in advance!

I agree with khriss,try and get some days with a local tree firm,be prepared to do all the donkey work as they will want too test your dedication.

The cs 30/31 is handy and you have experience using a saw so that will help too.I dont know where you are in the country so i couldnt advise you on a training provider although there are some good ones dotted all over the UK.

NPTC qualifications are recognised in other countries like the ones you have mentioned so that wont be a problem for you to go abroad and work.

Do you have a chipper ticket or a driving license with towing capabilities?

as these are highly sought after aswell,infact id recommend you get those before you start climbing as most tree firm want chipper tickets for groundies.

Finally id say be prepared for repetative days draggin and chipping,it can get minotinos but the job is what you make it.Try to be on the ball when you pull up to the job- get the cones/signs out,put oil and petrol in the saws try to keep busy and DONT fanny around on your phone...that really does my head in and the team leader will be watching you.If you really want to climb the guys may let you go up to do a small prune with a silky or a similar easy climb.

Watch the climbers and try to take on as much info as you can as it will help your progress.Always,always check its ok to work under the tree,dont just walk under-look up to check with the climber or ask the second climber on the deck.

Some days tree work is THE best job in the world....some days its utter bollocks.

Good luck and welcome to arbtalk