Khriss

1 hour ago, tree79 said:

Interesting how the home owner thinks he was lucky as its only damaged his lawn and hedge.

Guessing he hasn't read any of the national tree safety group publications 

I don’t understand this post at all.

1: The homeowner WAS lucky it only damaged his lawn and hedge. 

2: Why would he have read the national tree safety group publications? And if he had what would be especially pertinent to this case?

36 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I don’t understand this post at all.

1: The homeowner WAS lucky it only damaged his lawn and hedge. 

2: Why would he have read the national tree safety group publications? And if he had what would be especially pertinent to this case?

Was the owner not lucky no one was injured or killed?

I know we don't know the full extent of why the tree failed.

The national tree safety groups publication common sense risk management of trees gives good guidance to home owners on thee duty of care of there trees, which a prudent home owner should be aware of.

I know we don't know the full story and yes there's lots of tree owners tree owners who don't do anything with there trees at all.

This tree was known to a consultant, whether directly in that he'd carried out a survey isn't clear, and he's comment (which I've just received) is that it was a good, healthy looking tree, with no recent excavations (known within the last twenty years) around it. 

Any fungal activity certainly hadn't manifested itself. 

Trees fail. We do the best that we can with the knowledge and the resources that we have to identify those with a higher potential to fail. It looks that there was nothing to suggest any problem with this one.

• Like 1

0I am coming to the conclusion that trees are finely balanced structures that hold themselves up by the leaves constantly grabbing hold of air.... ;) cos after seeing decayed root plates full of fractures or a handful of roots holding a 70' pinus upright , there is no way they should stand :) K  ( Not too bad Alistair - hands very full at the mo ! )

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

So if there was nothing to suggest there was anything wrong with this tree and assuming the homeowner is insured  ( or not ? ) will the  people injured  and  who's car was damaged   be able to claim against owner ??  Also who covers the cost of the clearing up ??

In a word, no.

His insurance co. will only pay for stuff damaged on his property.

Same for clear up.

22 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

In a word, no.

His insurance co. will only pay for stuff damaged on his property.

Same for clear up.

I have , years ago on many occasions  attended scenes of fallen trees in the road and on other property where damage has been caused but have never really found out if any one is liable in the end  . I know it seems negligence usually needs to be proven to claim against owner of tree , but in the above case I would be surprised if the insurers of the cars damaged did not pursue the owner of the tree for costs .