Back pain, work and the gym

Big J

Lifting weights can open pathways in the body that have never been "open" before or re-arm the body with chemicals and sustances that can fix or address long term injuries.

There are many chemicals released in the body during resistance training the main three are testosterone,insulin growth factor and human growth hormone.The fact that these 3 all have the power to rebuild muscle tissue,strengthen connective tissue and release endorphines into our blood stream mean we have the ability within ourselves to heal and decrease pain(within reason of course,u aint gonna fix a broken leg by squating at the gym are you)

My years training has taught me just how capable the body is with healing itself if utilised properly.

Glad to read this post big j,as back pain is so debilitating.

Im fighting injuries myself but tendonities is nowt compared too some of the horrible injuries ove read above.

Do what makes you happy in the gym,the important thing is to push yourself and enjoy it...

Get those endorphines flowing

Great news J.

I have had problems over the years with a slipped disc and sciatic pain. Been to physio's, osteopaths  and doctors over the years without much joy. Then went to a friends who has trained in massage who noticed that my back muscles were very strong but my core muscles were pretty average. He suggested that I "engage my core when lifting" took a while to get the hang of this but it's been pretty much miraculous also help my hiatal hernia. I do exactly the same work as before but use my stomach and core muscles when lifting. 

55 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Lifting weights can open pathways in the body that have never been "open" before or re-arm the body with chemicals and sustances that can fix or address long term injuries.

There are many chemicals released in the body during resistance training the main three are testosterone,insulin growth factor and human growth hormone.The fact that these 3 all have the power to rebuild muscle tissue,strengthen connective tissue and release endorphines into our blood stream mean we have the ability within ourselves to heal and decrease pain(within reason of course,u aint gonna fix a broken leg by squating at the gym are you)

My years training has taught me just how capable the body is with healing itself if utilised properly.

Glad to read this post big j,as back pain is so debilitating.

Im fighting injuries myself but tendonities is nowt compared too some of the horrible injuries ove read above.

Do what makes you happy in the gym,the important thing is to push yourself and enjoy it...

Get those endorphines flowing

A lot of this is accuate, IMO.  Strength training at any age will build testosterone and HGH levels and essentially the more of those you have in your system, the healthier and fitter physically you should be - which is why most blokes are fitter at 18 when levels are peaking, than at 60 when they are usually depleted. I've eased up on the weights in recent years and I'm getting skinny and more prone to injury. Keep the muscle on if you can and you will handle the stresses of the tree industry btter

Edited by Acer Forestry
spelling
  • Like 1

Great news J.

I have had problems over the years with a slipped disc and sciatic pain. Been to physio's, osteopaths  and doctors over the years without much joy. Then went to a friends who has trained in massage who noticed that my back muscles were very strong but my core muscles were pretty average. He suggested that I "engage my core when lifting" took a while to get the hang of this but it's been pretty much miraculous also help my hiatal hernia. I do exactly the same work as before but use my stomach and core muscles when lifting. 

Can you explain how you do that?

17 minutes ago, huskykev said:

The stomach area,pelvic floor muscles tranversus abdominus,internal and external obliques,erector spinae etc are what keep you standing erect and are involved in every bodily movement.

These muscles and some more i havent mentioned are critical to keeping good posture and a healthy, strong back.

To engage these muscles tskes time and practice.

A good exercise for this is to lie on your back,lift your feet 6 inches off the ground,at the same time raise your head off the ground.You will feel your stomach muscles "engage" these are the core muscles at the front.

Now roll over onto your front with your arms straight down at your sides,again lift your feet and head off the ground,this will engage the core muscles on your back.

Once you have made this mind to muscle connection(it will take a wee while) you will be able to lock your core when doing certain exercises.

The best way i can describe it is your locking your midsection,it kinda feels the same way when your holding in a big fart...tensing your core area.

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, huskykev said:

What he said haha. Far more technical explanation than I could do. I just started by tensing up my stomach muscles as I lifted. After a while you can feel where you are lifting from. Seemed a bit weird to start with but anything that reduces back pain is good thing.

The stomach area,pelvic floor muscles tranversus abdominus,internal and external obliques,erector spinae etc are what keep you standing erect and are involved in every bodily movement.
These muscles and some more i havent mentioned are critical to keeping good posture and a healthy, strong back.
To engage these muscles tskes time and practice.
A good exercise for this is to lie on your back,lift your feet 6 inches off the ground,at the same time raise your head off the ground.You will feel your stomach muscles "engage" these are the core muscles at the front.
Now roll over onto your front with your arms straight down at your sides,again lift your feet and head off the ground,this will engage the core muscles on your back.
Once you have made this mind to muscle connection(it will take a wee while) you will be able to lock your core when doing certain exercises.
The best way i can describe it is your locking your midsection,it kinda feels the same way when your holding in a big fart...tensing your core area.

Have no back pain so far but just trying to look after myself really. Went from landscaping to full time chipper monkey in October so feeling my age the last few weeks... putting on a small bit of Xmas weight isn’t making last week any easier either!!
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

What he said haha. Far more technical explanation than I could do. I just started by tensing up my stomach muscles as I lifted. After a while you can feel where you are lifting from. Seemed a bit weird to start with but anything that reduces back pain is good thing.

My physio was saying it takes about three months of consciously making yourself do something before your body starts to do it automatically. My weak point is/was my glutes, so I have to basically arse flex whenever I lift anything!

Really interesting to read all of your different experiences. The back (and the body in general) is such a fragile thing, and you completely take it for granted until something breaks. 

I've had enough of being sore, this last 2 years has been tough.
I don't sleep well, I ache all the time, I can't think through the day and I'm restricted in my movements.
I managed to work 4 days in December!
I'm jacking it in, trying to get my body sorted with some pain management at the docs next week and then hopefully get back to the gym for stretches and squats.
I've suffered since I was 20 and now my back just goes into spasm for at least a week.