Back pain, work and the gym

Big J

9 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

I've had enough of being sore, this last 2 years has been tough.
I don't sleep well, I ache all the time, I can't think through the day and I'm restricted in my movements.
I managed to work 4 days in December!
I'm jacking it in, trying to get my body sorted with some pain management at the docs next week and then hopefully get back to the gym for stretches and squats.
I've suffered since I was 20 and now my back just goes into spasm for at least a week.

Christ Stephen. Hadn't realised that you had it so bad. I assumed the increasing move towards plant operation was simply because you liked the toys! Who doesn't though?

Hope you get it sorted. You're in the right place for a healthy lifestyle but I'd definitely suggest trying the squats and stretches as you mentioned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

Thanks J, I don't think the digger has helped .
Hunched over tense for hours then jumping out, wrestling stuff and using the saw and then back in. I believe I have bad back management!

The gym has got to be the way forward. Hopefully, you might find that it quickly has an effect. 

3x yrs ago, I suffered a crushed L1 and a spinal tear at S5, through an unexpected fall into a hidden and open inspection chamber on a site.

Hospital treatment consisted of 3x spinal nerve blocks, with the first one causing damage to nerves in my right leg - to the point where I can now, no longer feel my right foot (unerving when driving the defender 130!).
Pain meds prescribed included 200mg of Tramadol a day and 1200mg of Gabapentin - I only came off these drugs last November.

The best treatment I have had is with a local Physio who has used a combination of TENS, deep tissue massage and acupuncture, the back is looser, pain is liveable and I accept that the arthritis in the back is as managed as it can be.

7 minutes ago, HertsWood said:

3x yrs ago, I suffered a crushed L1 and a spinal tear at S5, through an unexpected fall into a hidden and open inspection chamber on a site.

Hospital treatment consisted of 3x spinal nerve blocks, with the first one causing damage to nerves in my right leg - to the point where I can now, no longer feel my right foot (unerving when driving the defender 130!).
Pain meds prescribed included 200mg of Tramadol a day and 1200mg of Gabapentin - I only came off these drugs last November.

The best treatment I have had is with a local Physio who has used a combination of TENS, deep tissue massage and acupuncture, the back is looser, pain is liveable and I accept that the arthritis in the back is as managed as it can be.

Ouch.  What do you do for a living mate?

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 09:09, Steve Bullman said:

Timely thread for me.  Im quitting cimbing at the end of this month and will be looking at doing something, gym at the least but possibly Yoga and some other classes.  Not sure if I will do freeweights again, machines, or a bit of both

I started putting on weight when I stopped climbing.. I could never been bothered with the gym as I am to lazy.. I have found running and cycling helps keep the waist line down..

It is difficult to stay motivated, cycling is good if you go out with a group and I am trying to do a couple of events a year, preferably something that will scare me... A half Ironman a few years back (I was terrified about drowning), marathon (goal to be sub 4 hrs), etape in the summer (stage in the tour de France 160 miles 2 huge climbs, being chased by a broom wagon if your too slow..). I have an off road marathon and a night marathon this spring..  I am still surprised by how my physique has changed and on the rare occasions I go to site I am very careful not to try and lift big bits of wood.. 

I had pretty consistent lower back pain before and so did my boss. The doctor told him his upper and lower body had a muscular inbalance and gave him some stretches to do, focusing on the core and glutes.

He showed them to me, you could do them in the time it took to boil the kettle in the morning. That was 13 years ago i havent had a back issue since, not even a niggle.

My friend studied sports science at uni and said pretty much all aches and pains in muscles and joints are muscular imbalances. The best way to solve it is pilates or a very well designed gym routine consisting of only core exercises, lighter weights being far more superior.