Power line shutdown

jjll

Just wandering if anyone has any experience of being charged for a shutdown before?

I have put in a request to have a temporary shutdown for a lv pole with abc on.

They have sent me a questionnaire to fill out so that they can send me over a quote for the costs.

As of all of my previous shutdowns, shrouding - there has never been any mention of a charge. It’s always been carried out and arranged to suit both parties foc.

I asked the operator if this was a new charge and they said it’s always been the case??

Surely if the lines are within my clients land, and the tree is too close to safely carry out a removal (the pole is in fact running up the middle of the tree) they should comply without any charges?

Any advice on this matter will be much appreciated.

Went to a job just before Christmas and one of the trees was close to some lv power lines. Would of done it in the past, but after a local tree surgeon losing his life recently by electrocution, thought twice about doing it.

Told the client they need to contact the electricity board to get their advice.
Shut down been arranged for 23rd Jan. Not aware of any charge.

• Like 1

So, if the client arranged for the shutdown it would be foc?
This is strange as I’ve not had this before, and it’s the same provider. Had a shutdown just before Christmas with them and dealt with them as the contractor, no problems and foc.

As for the utility tree team, I’ve not had a good experience with them in the past, with too many supervisors changing roles, jobs being either forgotten, rescheduled or cancelled the morning of the job. - one job had set backs over 5 times and took 2 years to actually get done. - doesn’t make me look good to my client.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jjll said:

So, if the client arranged for the shutdown it would be foc?
This is strange as I’ve not had this before, and it’s the same provider. Had a shutdown just before Christmas with them and dealt with them as the contractor, no problems and foc.

As for the utility tree team, I’ve not had a good experience with them in the past, with too many supervisors changing roles, jobs being either forgotten, rescheduled or cancelled the morning of the job. - one job had set backs over 5 times and took 2 years to actually get done. - doesn’t make me look good to my client.

LOL i have felt your pain regarding cancellations and the DNO simply forgetting about shut downs.  I ring the area supervisor direct now and he gives me a number of potential dates,  i choose one and  that's it.  I got to use their landy MEWP last time round which knocked 90 mins off my job time so we got off site earlier dan expected.

• Like 1

Wpd tried to charge me for a shutdown saying it's your trees and you should keep them clear, but I did point out they have a statutory obligation to maintain a set distance. The open phase was arcing in the wind.

They came out and cleared the minimum to max it safe.

Try reporting issues as safety issues and tree cutting request rather than a shutdown request.

• Like 1