Accounting software

33bk

Depends what you need to do with it realy.

Sage is probably still the market leader but it is expensive and probably over complicated for your needs.

A lot of people are using Quickbooks but I have no experience with this package.

The package we use is called Excel and it is made by a company called Microsoft. You may have heard of it?

Depends on factors such as anual turnover, number of customers/suppliers, how much capitalised equipment you have, do you need a payroll facility, your level of computer knowledge, etc. Sage and QuickBooks are certainly the market leaders in the UK but equally, with a small turnover i.e. below the vat threshold, most small companies can carry out the bookkeeping using a spreadsheet such as Excel. 

First post for me folks and right up my street being an accountant/software guy who's recently entered the arb world working for an experienced mate of mine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JasonM said:

most small companies can carry out the bookkeeping using a spreadsheet such as Excel

Agreed, I did my first couple of years accounting in just an old style ledger book and it works fine.

Even as a small simple business though its not using quickbooks and the like for the benefit of the graphs etc.  Its nice getting a quick snapshot of your business(when things are looking good)

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

Even as a small simple business though its not using quickbooks and the like for the benefit of the graphs etc.  Its nice getting a quick snapshot of your business(when things are looking good)

Also depends on how you see the accounting function in the business. Is it just a necessary evil for full filling your legal duties or is it a tool for helping you to manage the business? Snapshots of actuals against budget are a really useful means of checking how things are going.

• Like 1