Sugar

mountainboy

There is an interesting article about this stuff on the natural news website. I actually give lectures to Army Reserve recruits and one of them is on diet and nutrition, I try and have some knowledge of the subjects I instruct.

(https://www.naturalnews.com/043857_xylitol_artificial_sweeteners_digestive_distress.html)

This is a snipit of the full article

Elison continues, "[x]ylitol will rip up your insides, namely the digestive tract. It's being touted as a natural product, most likely so that it can bypass regulation. Thus, very little studies exist on its side effects." As anyone who has been overly enthusiastic about ingesting xylitolin large quantities can attest, the sweetener certainly lives up to its reputation of causing stomach distress, flatulence and loose stools. This alone is enough for anyone who cares about well-being to cast a weary eye upon the sweetener.

Moreover, it's interesting to note that polysaccharides are forbidden on a GAPS diet since the sugar encourages leaky gut syndrome. Digging a little deeper, another disturbing fact comes to light: Danisco (a worldwide supplier of xylitol) is owned by DuPont - the same corporation who concealed evidence that Teflon non-stick coating is a highly toxic carcinogen and substantially disrupts the reproductive system. Not exactly a company with a stellar track record for holding health in high regard.

I do try to avoid sugars as best I can.

• Like 3

Hmm. the "natural news" article appears to be based on hearsay rather than any scientific research.  The quote you provide even admits "very little studies exist on its side effects and goes on to suggest that eating large quantities may make you fart and splutter a bit.

I am always extremely wary of non peer reviewed articles like this.  I am not saying you are wrong, just that I am not convinced by that particular article.  Do you have any scientific papers that back this up?