Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

Credit where it’s due Forestboy, you’ve done a bloody good job on a bastard of a tree.

In at the deep end!

If you can get out to the tips like you obviously can, the rest of arb is just about the numbers.

You will never forget that tree.

I can almost forgive you insulting most of my mates on here!

I hope you’ve learned a lot from it.

IMO reductions like that test a climber more than pretty much anything else.

I hope you’re sitting with a glass of something with your feet up tonight.

You’ve earned it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forestboy1978 said:

Ropes were damp so wore no gloves.  What concerns me is I can't clench my fists without pain.

Feels like leg day but for the hands....

I use these, very cheap and have several pairs for wet days. Can't open your files to see the tree..... sounds like you did a good job ?

Screenshot_20181201-121501~2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyhow Kev, just did an hour or the art of practical rigging and OMG that is overwhelming. So much involved it's ridiculous. Did just learn how to tie a bowline with 1 hand and eyes closed in 2 seconds though. Remembering how to tomorrow is the problem. Just gotta keep repeating and repeating. 

Will start with anchor hitches to the mrs arms and legs to the bed posts I think ? 

That ultra expensive book you recommended.... can it be got in a library?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

Anyhow Kev, just did an hour or the art of practical rigging and OMG that is overwhelming. So much involved it's ridiculous. Did just learn how to tie a bowline with 1 hand and eyes closed in 2 seconds though. Remembering how to tomorrow is the problem. Just gotta keep repeating and repeating. 

Will start with anchor hitches to the mrs arms and legs to the bed posts I think ? 

That ultra expensive book you recommended.... can it be got in a library?

The Gerry beranek dvds are very good. My Mrs bought me the climbing one and cutting and rigging in the tree years ago. There's a felling one too now but don't have that... Don't have many 300ft trees round here ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Husqvarna King said:

The Gerry beranek dvds are very good. My Mrs bought me the climbing one and cutting and rigging in the tree years ago. There's a felling one too now but don't have that... Don't have many 300ft trees round here ?

I am never felling a 300ft tree. Some other sod can do it lol

On 30/11/2018 at 17:18, forestboy1978 said:

3 meters off the top of the crown, reduction in width to 14 meters from 18 meters. Crown lift and dead wood removal.

An  that shld be the mark of a good reduction- tree looks the same - just smallerer, K

• Like 2