Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

8 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

If I knew one, other than the guy who let me down then I'd have him in a shot. But i don't want to watch and get paid, I want to get up there and learn. 

Give me a guy who can handle no BS straight talk, ,good or bad, and will take the time to teach me and I'd love to make his acquaintance. I'm not an asshole, though some would suggest. I just do not mince my words. That's it. 

I reckon that it comes across different in text than if people were chatting face to face. I have met tonnes of Arbtalkers face to face and never had a problem chatting to everyone and picking up tricks and tips and giving the same out. 

I know you've said that you don't want to get someone in and you want to do the basics yourself, but I'd say that at this moment in time, these are exactly the sort of trees you should get a guy in to point you in the right direction.

Where are you based?

Just now, Tommy_B said:

I reckon that it comes across different in text than if people were chatting face to face. I have met tonnes of Arbtalkers face to face and never had a problem chatting to everyone and picking up tricks and tips and giving the same out. 

I know you've said that you don't want to get someone in and you want to do the basics yourself, but I'd say that at this moment in time, these are exactly the sort of trees you should get a guy in to point you in the right direction.

Where are you based?

I'm in the new forest mate.  

On the next one. I'm doing this on my own. It's nearly done. 1 more day. 

• Like 1

John Shutler is down that way.

The Treekit boys are also down there. If you've got the cash, you can get decent climbers from anywhere in the country though.

Like I said in the other post, it can be hard to read inflection in text but if it was me, I'd tone it down a bit and be a bit less defensive

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommy_B said:

The Treekit boys are also down there. If you've got the cash, you can get decent climbers from anywhere in the country though.

Like I said in the other post, it can be hard to read inflection in text but if it was me, I'd tone it down a bit and be a bit less defensive

OK, but not with Dempsey lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Been reading this thread on and off, and thought i would add my input.

I am 43, and gave up climbing about 5 years ago. Like you, i have a landscape and fenceing business, plus my crusher hire, so i decided its best i get a climber in as and when, and i can do all the ground stuff with my chipper, avant, etc and still take the big jobs on. I had a started a family, had one accident, and felt tje risk was not worth the gain

Now i am lucky, they guy i use has not yet hit 30. He started as my labourer whilst he was at uni, then decided like you to do treework. He joined one of the countries top tree companies,,and did every ticket and training course there was. Once he was fully trained, and worked with them for a year, he left. He trained as a fireman, and out of 2000 applicants, got one of the 8 jobs going, which happened to be near me. As they only work 4 days at a time, the other days i can call him in for my climbing. He comes with all the kit, saws etc, i provide the truck, chipper etc, and i keep the logs. 

Its a win win for me, but if i was only doing tree surgery and nothing else, i would still be climbing!

• Like 4

Forestboy I’m not going to enter the slanging match.

I’d rather concentrate on the tree work.

A few points, from the unfinished pic you put up -

Is it all Silky/tiny topper work? It seems to be coming on really well.

Slightly hard to tell, you need to reference pics from the same points so we can see what the difference is, but it is looking tidy.

i wouldn’t quote from pics, but it looks like a day for a gun climber and a groundy to me, so your quote seems canny high, but I’m never going to knock that. You certainly aren’t devaluing the industry! 

Was the spec ‘reduce to previous’? Not an easy feat sometimes.

My tuppence worth is if you get a chance like this again hire in a good climber like Matty, Joe or Rich and go up the tree with them.

You’ll learn more in a morning than you believed possible.

You certainly seem to put the effort in, I’m looking forward to the finished pics.

Increase the peace!

• Like 5