Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

3 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

I do have A LOT of experience with saws and doing hedges and stump grinding and a little with climbing. I'm one of those people who just does things if you know what I mean but there is a part of me that's thinking hmmm

I'm pretty fit and often work alone banging out fences so obviously I'm not shy of hard work. 

Tree work is an completely different set of skills compared to any other work on the ground. There's the rope work, rigging work, judging the weight of limbs to be cut and strength of anchor points, using a chainsaw while hanging upside down without killing yourself or dropping the branch onto a glass roof. Not to mention developing an eye for reducing a large crowned tree properly takes a lot of practice.

You should really work with more experienced climbers for a while and watch and learn rather than just jumping in as a lead climber with no one to teach/supervise you. A lot could go wrong. You should get some experienced subbie climbers in for a while, especially on bigger stuff.

Hi,

Good luck with all this.

Couple of points for you. Tree work can be a nightmare in the rain. Some jobs are possible (easy dismantles) but branch walking on big trees in the wet isn't for me. Trunks become mega slippy and ropes lock up.

You should learn a bit about pruning points etc. The pics you put up look pretty but aren't great reductions imo.

Your age is no issue if you are in reasonable shape.

All the best,

Jan.

1 hour ago, forestboy1978 said:

The what?? lol

I'm semi logistically screwed as I have a bad ass trailer and great Van but that's not much good for a chipper vehicle combo. I'm considering the possibility of winching a chipper into the van but it's tight!

I've got about 12 ft length in space by 4 ft width by 6 ft height....

If it can be done I can take 2.5 tons n the van...

Care to enlighten me?

There's a thread on here called "The Wee Chipper Club" - about small commercial chippers. Some good reliable models out there by all accounts.

OK mate I'll look into it. 

How about something like this to get me by for a couple of years until I updgrade my little car to a 4x4 and perhaps take someone on who can drive the 4x4 and chipper in. Don't need B&E to tow as long as chipper is below 750kg. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyundai-HYCH1500E-2-420cc-14hp-Electric-Start-Petrol-Wood-Chipper-Shredder/302411090194?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D8c432a3372a24d18ac8a11185e13b4ea%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D302411090194&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa9dce885-f056-11e7-a116-74dbd180ee7b%7Cparentrq%3Abae520e21600a9c56bb0f739fff2d437%7Ciid%3A1

Yeah I know... Hyundai etc etc but I do have a Hyundai post hole borer and 4000psi jetwasher and both have stood up to a lot of s***.

Just looking for something for the small bits 4 inches and below to begin with. 

My only suggestion would be to not go too far out of your comfort zone with the work you undertake.  You don't want to be losing sleep worrying about the big dismantle the next day.  This is easily solved by subbing in someone you are confident can deal with the really scarey jobs.  Those jobs are worth enough money that you will still earn what you need at the end of the day, even after paying a generous day-rate on top of your day-to-day costs.  

I haven't owned a chipper in years - on the occasions I need one, I'll hire it in.  The rest of the time I'll make do without. 

Sounds like you have the attitude needed and the vast majority of equipment to make it work.  I'm 38 and can feel my body is declining, I wont be able to do this in 10 years time, but if you're still fit and strong there's no reason why you shouldn't.

On 1/3/2018 at 07:25, forestboy1978 said:

OK mate I'll look into it. 

How about something like this to get me by for a couple of years until I updgrade my little car to a 4x4 and perhaps take someone on who can drive the 4x4 and chipper in. Don't need B&E to tow as long as chipper is below 750kg. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyundai-HYCH1500E-2-420cc-14hp-Electric-Start-Petrol-Wood-Chipper-Shredder/302411090194?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3D8c432a3372a24d18ac8a11185e13b4ea%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D302411090194&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa9dce885-f056-11e7-a116-74dbd180ee7b%7Cparentrq%3Abae520e21600a9c56bb0f739fff2d437%7Ciid%3A1

Yeah I know... Hyundai etc etc but I do have a Hyundai post hole borer and 4000psi jetwasher and both have stood up to a lot of s***.

Just looking for something for the small bits 4 inches and below to begin with. 

that chipper will be toss you need a 6 inch chipper minimum if you can't afford the kit to do a decent job maybe go work for someone to save funds up to set it up properly?. 

I think you will be fine just jumping in after buying a few bits and peices. Thats what I did 20 odd years ago.Some people don't have common sense or any sense of adventure,College courses are the norm now,not required but many feel they are.

The industry now is "training this and certificate that",just take it easy and chances are you will be fine.I would rather have a new bloke thats self learned than a new colledge leaver full of false confidence.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I think you will be fine just jumping in after buying a few bits and peices. Thats what I did 20 odd years ago.Some people don't have common sense or any sense of adventure,College courses are the norm now,not required but many feel they are.

The industry now is "training this and certificate that",just take it easy and chances are you will be fine.I would rather have a new bloke thats self learned than a new colledge leaver full of false confidence.

Disagree. Self taught tree surgeons produce stuff like this. 

shit tree.jpg

• Sad 1