Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

21 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

Really hope customer gives me a review for the oaks. I spoke to him cos I finished and he wasn't there and said any issues, let me know. He said his wife's happy but he hasn't had a chance to see it in the light yet cos of work.  I said don't worry too much about payment till you've had a chance to inspect the tree properly. Been paid. Still waiting on the review. 

Got a 10/10

And a FYI Dempsey, yes it was actually, definitely all me and not passing it off as myself cos supposedly it was beyond me. (sorry couldn't resist)

“Tree crown taken down and area maticulously clean. Larger branches cut and left for wood burner. Work carried out in treacherous conditions and well controlled by .......”

• Like 2

12 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

Applying for

Result! Looks like you've got the customer relations part down. They will recommend you to others and you will have plenty more jobs to hone your skills.

The hard part is not going bankrupt whilst honing your skills...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My first proper dismantle and chog down today. Had to be a brief gap in the sunshine for heavy rain and wind all day of course....

Wasn't comfortable cos haven't climbed in a month but got into the swing of it. Didn't do the whole thing as had a 45 degree of space it could be felled so felled remaining into that. 

All went well apart from the rain and wind

20190730_132857.jpg

20190730_132931.jpg

17 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Get those pegs cut flush mate

Yup, they would knack if you ended up into them.
You can anchor your main line and use a figure 8 or similar to control friction. Or, invest in a long cambium saver/rope guide/pulleysaver. You can then wrap that round the stem and run your rope through there.
Also stubs are a pain in the arse for when you're rigging things and the ropes get involved with them. It's a good idea to get into loosing them as a matter of course.
It'll also give you more confidence on your spikes.
Sometimes it may be useful to leave a stub, try to leave it on the other side of the stem to your work position, if you choose to do that.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Yeah I was aware of them but things didn't  go as planned. Had a few teething problems with new equipment. 

I left that little notch up there to fix a line to help guide the fell. Didn't want to hit my fencing panels. Was a bit scared on those spikes. Only 2nd time ever doing it. 

• Like 2