Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

Did Steve say he was gonna close this thread ? Maybe he should. I know this guy from his posts- an a bit of a giggle asside he is trying an learning but not there yet n problys this ain't the best job to cut his teeth on - but we can all say that's happened to us. But not hearing positives in this an poorly represents ARB online for any watchers out there. K

Khriss you've been a legend. And you are right. I'm having problems with these trees. Going from one to another with down adn then back up etc. Can't climb free cos ivy keeps snapping. 

Just delete the insults is all. Maybe just the real insults, not the messing around. 

8 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Alright mate, calm it down a touch.

From my perspective, there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on here, they're generally good guys with a lot to offer. A few of them have tried to contribute, but you've come across like you don't need the help.

Enemy for life or not, I'm not bothered. You're a pseudonym on a forum. It won't cost me sleep.

If you're local to me however, and genuinely willing to learn, I'd happily make time to go for a climb with you.

If you're still pissed off and want to vent, pm me for my number. 

I kinda appreciate that but still not hearing the apology for calling my wife  whore. Lady happens to be the most  supportive and never wanting anything but cuddles person I've ever known.

I don’t know you but you must be fuckin mint hey, 1 in 500 .....

I have not read any words from joe saying your wife is a whore,he was having some non liberal snowflake banter and that’s how you deciphered It ,if you can’t take it don’t dish it out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I don’t know you but you must be fuckin mint hey, 1 in 500 .....

I have not read any words from joe saying your wife is a whore,he was having some non liberal snowflake banter and that’s how you deciphered It ,if you can’t take it don’t dish it out.

See why be a dick. Yeah 1 in 500 roughly yeah. I'm very calm in a crisis. People respected that and felt supported having me on shift. So yeah. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

I kinda appreciate that but still not hearing the apology for calling my wife  whore. Lady happens to be the most  supportive and never wanting anything but cuddles person I've ever known.

I actually thought it was quite good - a bit risque, but bound to get a rise out of you. Im in the south too - and also with a tree job to finish 50mph winds today, maybe will be delayed. It doesn't matter if you jack it in or not. Matty is right lots do jack in. But either way you will have had a go at something that can be great fun. Don't get blown into next doors garden and damage any more of next doors chairs Mr Honey Climber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tevdukwqupg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Forestboy,
I admire your forthright and enthusiastic approach to your life and work.
But play smart my friend.
Breathe deep.
Go slower.
This is your first year in arb.
Remember you're a complete greenhorn in everyone's eyes.
Take a week to finish the oaks if it means you'll be in one piece at the end.
No job is worth dying for.
Every job over the next few years will be a learning experience.
You will need guidance.
This forum is a phenomenal source of knowledge and experience.
Keep it polite and professional like the gentleman you are.
I try to keep my postings purely about work.
I think you'll succeed.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I’ll tell you how I see it vesp, I was following this thread with some interest, ever since I was a kid and just got in too tree work I’ve seen many 40 year olds from many different back grounds have some kind of mid life crisis buy a big landy or jap 4x4 spend a load of money on kit and do a few nptcs .... start this is as some kind of fantasy dream job at the max I give this guy 3 years before he decides he has wasted his time and money ,usually it’s one winter before you hear the “ yeah I had an old injury and I just could not climb any more” ... when they could not climb in the first place but go around telling all there mates and customers they are some expert wonder tree guy ... or they they genuinely have an accident... let’s say free climbing or one handing cut and holding because they are pissed off and frustrated as the OP has already made a point of saying he has done some....
Before he insulted rich rule, who really is top of his game , I have worked and climbed with him and would happily any day of the week again , I think most of us would of gone out of the way to help him with our experiences of kit and techniques maybe even go on a rec climber show him some or even sub for him as was pointed out at the start of thread , this is a good way of seeing how things should be done ... surely any one who is so amazing and practical minded knows this....
This has all for me has gone out the window as I doubt any one worth there salt as a climber would work for an opinionated egotistical know it all like your self or friend here.

Look, I was enjoying reading through this thread.. insults an all..  but some things go beyond the pale..  

Just an aside, people call me a troll, accuse me of ruining threads..  Yet no one mentions the fella who ruined two threads in just a week, Joe Newton..  the only mitigation in his favor is he was trying in some cack handed manner to grab forestboys attention..   I suspect havin taking drink..

It’s getting a bit silly now isn’t it?

Forestboy, as a new starter it will be tempting to take every job you get.  Sometimes it isnt the best choice.  Some jobs are horrible, sound like the oaks are in that category for you at this stage in your career.  Believe me, sometimes it is wise to pick and choose you battles...  certain jobs you need to just suck it up and get on with it.  Others can be done on a better day weather wise or crew wise.

if you stick with it then you will look back at the oak tree job in a few years and think wtf was I doing or thinking.

it gets easier with time.  One word of advice is dont accept all the shit jobs, just because you are new and want the job on the books.  

Often other companies have walked away as they can see wht a nightmare the job will/could turn out to be.

If you do accept them make sure you charge accordingly for the agg.

best of luck.

• Like 12