top friction

Dilz

aah so the meaning is  the climber takes over control of the lowering line once the piece has been cut and the groundy has held it, and maybe i've had to climb back in from where im cutting to the point where the lowering line is - like i said in an earlier comment was an advantage when i was using the RW for rigging. 

Also dont chip (often) - no sir stopped that foolishness years ago.  I used a chipper  maybe 10 times last year - cut and stack (hopefully with a loader) and a guy with a grab truck will turn up and cart it off to the recycling when i'm done and gone. 

7 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

No, the climber has control from the beginning.

so - the climber - using both hands on the saw - lobs of a  big old bit of oak over hanging a roof  and then grabs the lowering rope to skilfully lower the piece down as it swings away in to the open arms of the groundy? thats some magic right there I really have to see. 

1 hour ago, Stephen Blair said:

I never mentioned the odd branch.
Just because you can’t imagine it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work if you know what to do.
Friction can be added anywhere from the ground to the attachment point, it’s up to the climber to decide which will work best.

Yeh i understand that - i used to rig everything with crotches and trunk wraps using nothing but good old thick as your wrist polyprop rope - i still have a decent length hanging in the garage for old times sake. its still doesnt make it any clearer what you mean by adding the friction to where the climber is cutting, but just because you cant describe it doesn't mean it doesn't work :D right?   

3 minutes ago, Dilz said:

so - the climber - using both hands on the saw - lobs of a  big old bit of oak over hanging a roof  and then grabs the lowering rope to skilfully lower the piece down as it swings away in to the open arms of the groundy? thats some magic right there I really have to see. 

I tell you what, tomorrow morning I’ll do a couple of photos to show you how it works.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattyF said:

The main benefit as I’ve already explained is about forces .. a friction device on the bottom of the spar with a pulley doubles the load on the top pulley , not good on a defective spar ... this is where imo the safe bloc comes in.

now this i can appreciate - big old hollow halfway up or some such damage can make things a bit twitchy if it needs stuff snatching. It makes sense - a 100kg piece needs 100kg opposing force to hold it - yet with the added top friction the opposing force for sake of example is reduced to 25kg- thus the force at the anchor would be 125kg or am i missing the (basic) principle?

No one local to me I know uses a safebloc and at 150 quid its not something I'd like to buy to just see if it might be useful, though i can see how it would be - especially with stuff were defects or roots are suspect.

9 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I tell you what, tomorrow morning I’ll do a couple of photos to show you how it works.

that would be much appreciated - i hate trying to describe stuff much better to show than tell. 

• Like 1

Errrrm ....I failed physics mate ... but that’s around the basic principles of what I’m aware of and I could be wrong , its like a 100kg lump with a bottom friction Device puts that at 200kg of force on the top point .. maybe more if you take in to account the shock loading ...I think some of the American riggers have it all worked out, maybe the Tree buzz or house is worth a visit and search ? .. all I know is it significantly lessens the forces instead of doubling them... which for me on a dead on defective stem is better than a conventional pulley device set up if you have no choice but to shock load.

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

Errrrm ....I failed physics mate ... but that’s around the basic principles of what I’m aware of and I could be wrong , its like a 100kg lump with a bottom friction Device puts that at 200kg of force on the top point .. maybe more if you take in to account the shock loading ...I think some of the American riggers have it all worked out, maybe the Tree buzz or house is worth a visit and search ? .. all I know is it significantly lessens the forces instead of doubling them... which for me on a dead on defective stem is better than a conventional pulley device set up if you have no choice but to shock load.

This, also if you want stuf to swing away use redirects.