top friction

Dilz

After watching that vid by the Aussie bloke its dawned on me that a lot of people might be cracking nuts with a sledgehammer...

Use some crap rope and a branch for friction...   obviously not always but I'm sure most of the time it'd be as quick, not to mention save wear and tear on the more expensive gizmo's people want to have..

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Vespasian said:

After watching that vid by the Aussie bloke its dawned on me that a lot of people might be cracking nuts with a sledgehammer...

Use some crap rope and a branch for friction...   obviously not always but I'm sure most of the time it'd be as quick, not to mention save wear and tear on the more expensive gizmo's people want to have..

Do you cut lawns with a push powered cylinder mower?

Actually don’t answer that, you probably do :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yea that’s fine for the odd small branch now and again, I do it sometimes. But it’s quicker and safer to use proper gear

15 minutes ago, Will Heal said:

Yea that’s fine for the odd small branch now and again, I do it sometimes. But it’s quicker and safer to use proper gear

How is it quicker? And what constitutes “proper gear”

A retired climbing line has a more than adequate breaking strain for all but the biggest stuff.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

First off I said when appropriate..  and NO I don't use a push powered mower..   I use what gonna get the job done fastest..

To whit why I said natural crotch rigging when applicable..   ie most of the time I imagine..

How is it quicker, I don't know,perhaps you aught ask this fella, he seems to know what he's talking about..

How is it quicker? 

Ok, not always quicker and definitely not just for one branch but if you are having to lower several large branches from the same point over and over again, then setting up a block and a friction device at the bottom of the tree is quicker over the day than keep wrapping it round the trunk. It depends on the situation, you know that mick

1 minute ago, Will Heal said:

Ok, not always quicker and definitely not just for one branch but if you are having to lower several large branches from the same point over and over again, then setting up a block and a friction device at the bottom of the tree is quicker over the day than keep wrapping it round the trunk. It depends on the situation, you know that mick

Yes it does (depend on the situation)

Quite right.

Edited by Mick Dempsey