top friction

Dilz

My only experience of this other than natural crotch rigging was using an old ZK1 wrench with a 13mm yale rope.  I found i had to take quite big pieces for it to run smooth. and was a bit of pain as the friction couldn't be adjusted ala bollard at the base. for when smaller bit needed to be rigged.

I keep hearing a lot more about having the friction at the top instead of the base, but i'm keen to know more. What systems work? do any allow for easy adjustment? in a big tree i dont fancy climbing up to the rigging anchor when i want to adjust something. 

My only concern with these devices is the angle at which they apply all that force to the rigging rope, with a traditional block they have a nice big sheave that gives you a wide angle, spreading the force over a larger surface area, making the most of the properties of the rope, whereas the X-ring and so-on bends the rope at such a tight angle concentrating all that force on it, surely loading your rope in this way must have a negative effect? Also the fact that there is some friction being applied to the mantel might have a bit more of a milking effect on double braided rigging lines?

These are just my thoughts and I'm sure plenty of research has gone into these devices but I don't think I will be ordering one until I am better in the know.

Edited by Outlaw333

On 03/01/2018 at 11:05, Outlaw333 said:

My only concern with these devices is the angle at which they apply all that force to the rigging rope, with a traditional block they have a nice big sheave that gives you a wide angle, spreading the force over a larger surface area, making the most of the properties of the rope, whereas the X-ring and so-on bends the rope at such a tight angle concentrating all that force on it, surely loading your rope in this way must have a negative effect? Also the fact that there is some friction being applied to the mantel might have a bit more of a milking effect on double braided rigging lines?

These are just my thoughts and I'm sure plenty of research has gone into these devices but I don't think I will be ordering one until I am better in the know.

I ordered a safebloc, it turned up today and it’s massive as you can see Next to my cup. The bend radius looks ok it’s not bent at a tight angle at all, I’ll set it up this week if I get an opportunity or time to have a mess about and take a pic with the rigging rope in situ. 

689ABE1D-421B-4C6A-BAF0-1069469EF2DB.jpeg

On 02/01/2018 at 16:46, Dilz said:

My only experience of this other than natural crotch rigging was using an old ZK1 wrench with a 13mm yale rope.  I found i had to take quite big pieces for it to run smooth. and was a bit of pain as the friction couldn't be adjusted ala bollard at the base. for when smaller bit needed to be rigged.

I keep hearing a lot more about having the friction at the top instead of the base, but i'm keen to know more. What systems work? do any allow for easy adjustment? in a big tree i dont fancy climbing up to the rigging anchor when i want to adjust something. 

Whata re the benefits of friction at top instead of bottom?

for me the only real benefit i've noticed is when working as a two man crew (1 climber 1 groundy) as once the piece was cut i could take control of the lowering line whilst the groundy walked the piece away and still have the advantage of friction. also for lifting stuff it worked well..