Ford Ranger, engine management light?

PeteB

The EML has come on, along with the ABS and ESP lights. Cruise control is inoperative and for a while it surged/waned. Anyone got a clue?

My local Ford dealership were their usual helpful selves, couldn't be bothered to plug it in but will look at it in ten days when they do the MOT.

Engine and DPF have done 70k the rest 170k. Full Ford history etc.....

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:09, PeteB said:

The EML has come on, along with the ABS and ESP lights. Cruise control is inoperative and for a while it surged/waned. Anyone got a clue?

My local Ford dealership were their usual helpful selves, couldn't be bothered to plug it in but will look at it in ten days when they do the MOT.

Engine and DPF have done 70k the rest 170k. Full Ford history etc.....

What year and model ranger, is the abs functioning intermittently or at least sounding like it is even on dry roads.

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

It's a 63 plate 2.2 and the abs did appear to pulse back through the pedal a few times on a dry surface! You got a clue?

Hi

Yeah it may not be but the symptom's you  both describe and the lights coming up sound very much like one of the speed sensors that are on each wheel failing and sending a dodgy signal back in to the system, one of other signs will be the hill start assist not working, The first time it did it with me was with a fully loaded tri axle ifor coming up to a junction and the ABS kicked in on a dry road needless to say the braking performance was not great and I resorted to the handbrake to help matters. Mine is a 65 plate 3.2 and its had 3 all done under warranty on the last visit I asked unsuccessfully for the 4th and last original one to be done rather than waiting for it to fail. Fitter at the main dealer told me its a known  common fault and the replacements are an upgraded item. Craig your warning lights may not be on now but my experience would say it will happen again and may go on and off a few times but will end up staying on. To be honest because of what the affect it has on the braking system it should in my view be a recall item or at least offer to change them at service intervals as like I say they are well aware of the issue.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. My local Ford Ranger supplier put it on the diagnostic and confirmed an ABS fault and an engine issue! (No shit, Sherlock!) It wouldn't MOT as the ABS wouldn't work and they wouldn't be able to look at it for 3 weeks. I got to use someone else's cast off until such time it can be fixed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this. I took it a small Ford place that do MOT and have serviced it before. They found a break in the loom to a wheel sensor and cleaned the sensors and the "mega expensive injector fault" was just a ECU reboot with the latest software. All done with the MOT in a day. 

So it appear that I got misinformation from the Ford Commercial dealer.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys - sorry to reboot/ hijack the thread. 

My 2010 4x4 ranger's engine management light has just come on during the drive home, accompanied with the whole vehicle shaking really violently when I'm not giving it full revs. The shaking was happening upon starting the vehicle this morning however. 

It was running as normal on saturday when I last drove, however I refuelled about 20 mins before getting home- could it be some bad fuel? It continued running fine for the drive back after fuelling.

Booked it in for a diagnostic tomorrow morning, but have you guys got any thoughts on what it could be? I'm not that clued up on vehicle engines etc so this is worrying.

Cheers!

Edited by Will Ingleton

2 minutes ago, Will Ingleton said:

Hey guys - sorry to reboot/ hijack the thread. 

My 2010 4x4 ranger's engine management light has just come on during the drive home, accompanied with the whole vehicle shaking really violently when I'm not giving it full revs. The shaking was happening upon starting the vehicle this morning however. 

It was running as normal on saturday when I last drove, however I refuelled about 20 mins before getting home- could it be some bad fuel? It continued running fine for the drive back after fuelling.

Booked it in for a diagnostic tomorrow morning, but have you guys got any thoughts on what it could be? I'm not that clued up on vehicle engines etc so this is worrying.

Cheers!

DPF regen  ?