Petition for legislation for winter and all season tyres

Big J

40 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve just done 2000 miles driving to Morzine and back in a Navara on BFGoodrich all terrains. There is a lot of snow and ice on the roads in the mountains at present, and the return trip (across France yesterday) was extremely wet at times. The tyres (and vehicle, though not relevant to this thread) were faultless - plenty of grip and stability in all conditions including prolonged 180kmh autoroute running. I wouldn’t rush to fit anything else personally, I disagree that these aren’t suitable winter tyres.

Mine were towards the end of the life, in that the tread was on the low side (for all terrains - still at least 5mm on it). I think that the rubber compound used for BF Goodrich ATs is really rather hard. I got just over 75k miles out of them, which is by far the most I've had out of any tires. I did like them, but I think that the snow and wet road performance is down to the tread pattern, rather than the rubber compound. I do still like them, but wouldn't recommend them for ice or snow (personally).

37 minutes ago, Big J said:

Mine were towards the end of the life, in that the tread was on the low side (for all terrains - still at least 5mm on it). I think that the rubber compound used for BF Goodrich ATs is really rather hard. I got just over 75k miles out of them, which is by far the most I've had out of any tires. I did like them, but I think that the snow and wet road performance is down to the tread pattern, rather than the rubber compound. I do still like them, but wouldn't recommend them for ice or snow (personally).

FairPlay for trying to get something done you believe in. 

I’m afaid trying to get any sensible response from the powers that be are little to no chance. 

I tried with rear facing child seats with the backing of a big multinational Solicitors firm and got no where.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mortimer Firewood said:

I’m afaid trying to get any sensible response from the powers that be are little to no chance. 

I tried with rear facing child seats with the backing of a big multinational Solicitors firm and got no where.  

What did you try to achieve if you don’t mind my asking?

12 minutes ago, WesD said:

What did you try to achieve if you don’t mind my asking?

For it to be mandatory for toddlers to remain in rear facing child seats up until 7 years of age. 

The stats for spinal cord  brain injury’s is absolutely shocking. 90% of this could be solved with rear facing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mortimer Firewood said:

For it to be mandatory for toddlers to remain in rear facing child seats up until 7 years of age. 

The stats for spinal cord  brain injury’s is absolutely shocking. 90% of this could be solved with rear facing.

Is age the factor or size? Or both?

10 hours ago, Mortimer Firewood said:

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't successful with that. What you were campaigning for would be a small price for child safety.

10 hours ago, Mesterh said:

I can see why it is a good idea in other countries or county's where there is snow come the winter but no good and a waste of money in places where they aren't needed. Are winter tyres better on black ice and do they perform worse on dry roads?

They don't come into their own until the  the temp is 7 deg C or below . Above that they are not as good , so I have read in previous posts on this thread .

Thought this was a joke at first!. 

How about a petition for better driving standards, more lessons, harder test etc. 

A five minute drive on the motorway will tell you all the training shortfalls out there. 

So with drivers at a higher standard than now (shouldn't be too hard!) we wouldn't need winter tyres forced upon us as another bleeding tax