Petition for legislation for winter and all season tyres

Big J

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

I googled it, and there aren't many companies take issue with the fitment of winter tyres:

I didn't say winter tyres but referred to speed rating. When I was looking at all season tyres the ones available were of a lower speed rating so not suitable for every day use and would need special insurance.

My main objection to the proposal is the lack of resources to enforce it, there's hardly any traffic police about these days so I can't see such a law being enforced.

3 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I didn't say winter tyres but referred to speed rating. When I was looking at all season tyres the ones available were of a lower speed rating so not suitable for every day use and would need special insurance.

My main objection to the proposal is the lack of resources to enforce it, there's hardly any traffic police about these days so I can't see such a law being enforced.

Fair enough on the speed rating. The £59 tyres I ordered last week for the car have a W speed rating (168mph) so I can't imagine that that would be an issue.

Regarding enforcement, it could simply be done on standard VOSA vehicle checks and if you are involved in an accident and you haven't the correct tyres on, you're automatically liable, regardless of fault. 

I like your concept J,but I don't like the mandatory part of it.Perhaps if the Government publicized the benefits of Winter Tyres more people in the areas most effected might  get a set off their own back?

All season tyres are pretty pants on propper ice.They and propper Winter Tyres (even those with studs) are not very effective on Black ice and its the worst road hazard in the Winter because you can't see it.Its so easy to think the Road is only wet,take a corner and slide clean off the Road,

Winter Tyres have a much,much softer compound,the tread is also cut into little slices during a winter with little Snow or Ice the wear is accelerated greatly .

As Josh said,they are also weaker in construction.

Its taken for granted that you have to change /pay to have changed your tyres in October here,then store /pay to have your tyres stored untill the Spring.

I watched this tit yesterday in a vw van try and get up a Hill with a blind summit , his mrs was pushing him but the van going side ways in to the on coming traffic stupidly I thought the best thing to do was help push on top of the summit as I could not watch .. a huge 8wheeled feed lorry came over the other side side of the summit and this dude was in his lane with us two pushing I grabbed her thinking we where all gonna die in every direction with no where to run ! ... I’m still not sure how we didn’t get hit by the lorry !.. any way he said is there many more hills ?? This was the A68 going in to Scotland..!!that was just one example of incredibly stupid driving I saw yesterday and every time it snows it’s the same ... I heard the road was shut later due to a major accident...but I think in Scotland and northern England it should definitely be mandatory to have snow tyres, watching shit like yesterday and seeing people risk them selfs and others for the sake of a set of tyres it’s not worth it.

• Like 2