Honesty required..

Baz27

Hi all, 

Thanks so much for the replies and contributions.! 

Yes, I've got a fair few tickets that would come in handy; Ex Forces - Vehicle Mech, C+E 1, First Aid, IOSH, SWAH 1.. ..some not so relevant too.?

Injury wise, nothing that a handful of ibuprofen doesn't sort out. 

I'll definitely take the advice and apply it accordingly. I think the groundie tickets are a great idea to open the door and I'm fully expecting to fund my own courses. 

?

1 minute ago, Baz27 said:

Hi all, 

Thanks so much for the replies and contributions.! 

Yes, I've got a fair few tickets that would come in handy; Ex Forces - Vehicle Mech, C+E 1, First Aid, IOSH, SWAH 1.. ..some not so relevant too.?

Injury wise, nothing that a handful of ibuprofen doesn't sort out. 

I'll definitely take the advice and apply it accordingly. I think the groundie tickets are a great idea to open the door and I'm fully expecting to fund my own courses. 

?

Then go for it Baz !:)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to pose the other side of the coin, this forum is full of 'older' climbers (and groundsman) who have made it and are still doing it. I suspect that those who entered the industry later in life and fell by the wayside don't actually frequent arbtalk to say it's too bloody hard, don't attempt it! :D

Years ago we had a fellow in for a day who thought that he might be interested in a career change, thirty odd, went to the gym and worked as a doorman part time. At the end of the day he admitted that it was the hardest days work of his life (it was a hard day, long drag and a steep garden - but you get days like that)

Personally, I don't know if I'd advocate entering the industry later in life, it's easier than it used to be with the equipment and mechanical aids but compared to a lot of other trades it's underpaid and unappreciated. But if you enjoy it and it doesn't feel like you're getting up to go to work everyday, cart on and good luck. I've worked with a lot of more mature people and they do bring a hell of a lot of valuable skills &  a mindset that are really handy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are ex-services then be sure to check if you have any ELCAs credits available. There are some great starter packages for those looking to start in the Forestry and Arboriculture industry.
Sorry to hijack the thread. Do u have a link for any of these courses. I have some ELC to use up

6 minutes ago, tony_t3d said:
On 11/01/2018 at 11:12, LynherTraining said:
If you are ex-services then be sure to check if you have any ELCAs credits available. There are some great starter packages for those looking to start in the Forestry and Arboriculture industry.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Do u have a link for any of these courses. I have some ELC to use up

Hi Tony,

Our ELCs programmes are detailed here:

http://lynhertraining.com/elcas/

We are based on the Cornwall/Devon border. We have trained ex-service leavers from all over the uk and can plan training in blocks and to work around your schedule as much as we can. We have NPTC programmes but also offer the City and Guilds Level 3 Forestry and Arboriculture Qualifications with more theory based courses such as Tree Pests and Tree Surveying. Have a look and see what you think - alternatively let us know what you'd like to achieve and we can see if we can work them in as part of an ELCs programme.

Look forward to hearing from you if we suit your needs.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Our ELCs programmes are detailed here:
http://lynhertraining.com/elcas/

We are based on the Cornwall/Devon border. We have trained ex-service leavers from all over the uk and can plan training in blocks and to work around your schedule as much as we can. We have NPTC programmes but also offer the City and Guilds Level 3 Forestry and Arboriculture Qualifications with more theory based courses such as Tree Pests and Tree Surveying. Have a look and see what you think - alternatively let us know what you'd like to achieve and we can see if we can work them in as part of an ELCs programme.

Look forward to hearing from you if we suit your needs.
Thanks for the reply I will have a browse..

Is 40 too old?  Depends who you ask.  Theres plenty of climbers on this forum well into their late 40's, even 50's.

Me, im 41, have been climbing 21 years.  I'm retiring from climbing the end of this month.  Could I go on for another 10 years?  Sure, but i'd probably end up a total cripple, thats wht i'm pre-empting it while i'm still in relatively good shape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1