Honesty required..

Baz27

Hi all, 

I'm facing a dilemma, which is nagging me.. so I'm asking for some hard truths to set me straight.

I'm in full time employment, working shifts. I want to give the Mrs the option to reduce her hours at work, or change jobs. I'd be seeking part time employment, which would allow me to commit to a few days a week, preferably working for an established outfit. As a result, I've enrolled on a CS30 & 31 course to give me some qualifications to get me started; with a vision to doing CS 38 39 etc later in the year. 

Only thing is, I'm 40.. and I'm wondering if it's too late in the day to start pursuing this as a part time employment option. I am a 'fit' bloke and spent a day with a firm recently, which I really took to and really encouraged me. 

Recap:

1) Am I too old?

2) Do firms set on part timers? (In their 40s! Ha!) 

Cheers. 

Baz

1 hour ago, Baz27 said:

Hi all, 

I'm facing a dilemma, which is nagging me.. so I'm asking for some hard truths to set me straight.

I'm in full time employment, working shifts. I want to give the Mrs the option to reduce her hours at work, or change jobs. I'd be seeking part time employment, which would allow me to commit to a few days a week, preferably working for an established outfit. As a result, I've enrolled on a CS30 & 31 course to give me some qualifications to get me started; with a vision to doing CS 38 39 etc later in the year. 

Only thing is, I'm 40.. and I'm wondering if it's too late in the day to start pursuing this as a part time employment option. I am a 'fit' bloke and spent a day with a firm recently, which I really took to and really encouraged me. 

Recap:

1) Am I too old?

2) Do firms set on part timers? (In their 40s! Ha!) 

Cheers. 

Baz

Your not too old but you will have to learn fast when climbing by that I mean get used to mechanical friction devices or ways of climbing that are more efficient and less taxing than a prussic. 

The fact that your in your 40’s can work for you, I highly doubt you’ll be out all weekend on the lash late for work everyday or a general let down, the fact you want another job alongside your ft shifts shows dedication and a willingness to work. If your graft is as good as your ethic you would be a bonus to most. 

Working PT may suit firms as they aren’t having to commit to a ft wage but do need the extra help on jobs however you need to bear in mind this would be on their terms so you may not get the work for your ideal schedule but theirs. 

Good of luck and all the best. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lux, thanks for your reply.

I'm in Derby. I appreciate it's not the best paid job; in fact it doesn't reflect the skill and risks associated with it.. However, I feel that I've some transferable skills so it would suit me to the ground. 

I'll crack on and do the courses I think, age is only a number eh?! (Wonder if I'll be saying that in 6 months time?!?) 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

I did my CS38/39 at 48, I’ll never be Reg Coates but I’m still climbing at 52 (part time) and still enjoying it.
As others have said, maturity means you will have qualities and life experience to offer that younger folk probably lack.

If you have good knees and a good back then why not?

If you get the chance to work alongside a seasoned climber you will learn the game a lot quicker.

Go for it and all the best! [emoji106]

• Like 1

Obviously climbing takes its toll on the body but as mentioned before mechanical devices,ascenders etc have greatly helped us to make the job more ergonomical.

40 isnt too old,i came into tree work mid to late 30's and i stay fit aswell to keep my body as tuned in as possible.

Dont forget groundwork can be punishing aswell,draggin brash,chipping,carrying logs,crosscutting timber,lowering etc all day knocks your pan in.

As an"older gentleman" (no offence),

your age may actually go in your favour with prospective employers as younger workers tend to take sickies,show up late or fanny around on there phones and generally take liberties when you wont.

My advice would be get your cs30/31 and chipper tickets get in with a firm and see how it goes.If in 6 months time your still keen to climb then go for it...or maybe some kind hearted boss will invest in you and pay to put you through it.

Good luck buddy :151:

• Thanks 2