Timber of any type wanted on Oxford / Bucks area

Woodwanter

Hi all,

new here, I've come over from the farming forum on recommendation.

i am running a burner capable of taking fuel in a chamber 3m w x 2 t x 2 d. It's used mostly for grain drying, straw is our preferred fuel but I am looking longer term for other option too.

i have been experimenting with burning arb arising which seems to work ok so looking at wood as an option.

haulage will kill it for most higher value timber but given the size of my chamber I don't want nor can afford prime cord wood, I am thinking more along the lines of stumps, knotted bits or site clearance jobs, I think I can take the bits which get left in the corner others don't really want. I have plenty of storage space so just putting this out there. I will only really be interested in artic lorry loads at a time.

given the value of firewood am I likely to get a sensible supply? I'm looking long term so larger companies with limited yard space may work well? I can arrange transport if you can load. Junction 6 M40 is a few minutes away.

TYIA

Nick Channor is down in your area and may be able to help.  He used to sell arb arisings by the 40 foot tipper load.  Doubt you will find him here much these days but he is a farmer and is active on the farming web sites.  It all else fails I do have his contact details.  Just be aware that the type of timber you are seeking will need to be dried out prior to burning to get a decent heat performance from it.   The key word here though is sell not give.

A

2 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Nick Channor is down in your area and may be able to help.  He used to sell arb arisings by the 40 foot tipper load.  Doubt you will find him here much these days but he is a farmer and is active on the farming web sites.  It all else fails I do have his contact details.  Just be aware that the type of timber you are seeking will need to be dried out prior to burning to get a decent heat performance from it.   The key word here though is sell not give.

A

Thanks for this. Drying is not a problem for me, plenty of space and no huge rush for the materials.

Geting arb arising is easy enough, happy to pay for what is offered but there will need to be a paper trail and some trust on both sides somprefer a few regulars rather than random tips. 

17 hours ago, Woodwanter said:

Thanks for this. Drying is not a problem for me, plenty of space and no huge rush for the materials.

Geting arb arising is easy enough, happy to pay for what is offered but there will need to be a paper trail and some trust on both sides somprefer a few regulars rather than random tips. 

Nick is a good man and reliable,  he does what he says and if he cant he will tell you straight.  Like several members here I used to buy cord from him by the 24 tonner load,  but he pulled out of this some years ago when transport costs and low margins meant his lorries would be more profitably employed on other work.   

A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

We're based close by and would happily drop the odd load of leylandii and other stuff we can't sell if you want?

We wouldn't want anything for it just happy to get rid of it.

Drop me a message if you're interested.

Cheers Owain

5 hours ago, owain said:

Hi there

We're based close by and would happily drop the odd load of leylandii and other stuff we can't sell if you want?

We wouldn't want anything for it just happy to get rid of it.

Drop me a message if you're interested.

Cheers Owain

You are indeed, thanks, I will. I've been really pleased and surprised by this forum, it seems there are several out there who end up stockpiling timber they don't have much use for.