I want a Landy Tipper (Am I insane?)

wjotner

I bought a rough off farm 110 hicap in 2009 from my ex boss for 2250. I have run it hard ever since with regular trips from devon to west sussex and in that time i have replaced the gearbox, transfer box, numerous bearings, rebuilt the top end of the engine, new turbo, some welding, new rad, steering box the list goes on and on. However being handy with spanners and having a mate with a welder meant i have only ever had to pay for parts and beer. in that time it has been a tough dependable workhorse. even when it broke you could usually limp it home. I gave it a respray 4 years ago which tidied up the appearance and sold it three weeks ago for 4200. oh yes, I only sold its as i have bought another one:thumbup:

IMG_20151016_174920.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, htb said:

Changed that for you.

But when you do its normally further from hard standing and deeper. !!!!!!!

Ha ha!. My 130 has BFG MTs on, I haven't got it stuck once in the last year. The 90 has continental ATs on and has been pulled out a couple of times. This is more due to the fact the woods are much drier than usual more than anything else!

15 hours ago, htb said:

Changed that for you.

But when you do its normally further from hard standing and deeper. !!!!!!!

My claim is I've never yet got any of my landy stuck, forward progression has been delayed sometimes for a considerable amount of time but never stuck to the point I've needed to call anyone else in to recover me apart from my own vehicles.
When I used to use a mog that was a different matter nd needed to call in some heavy duty assistants a few times because they are either travelling or proper stuck!

The thing with Landys (or any 4x4) is they really rely on momentum when it gets really sticky- if you have to stop and yours tyres are clogged then it becomes about as useful as a fiesta! The problem is compounded severely if trying to draw a trailer over the same ground. I think Landrovers are great workhorses myself and mine has been very reliable over 10 years of ownership- but increasingly I’m finding I use my tractor now a lot more when the job is wet and off-road just to save the faffing around getting stuck. It means I can get trailers and equipment right where I need them rather then compromising and making the job more awkward.

56 minutes ago, Gray git said:

forward progression has been delayed sometimes for a considerable amount of time but never stuck to the point I've needed to call anyone else in to recover me apart from my own vehicles.

So you're only 'stuck' when you have to engage a third party or third party vehicles:lol: I'm calling you out on this one.

My definition of stuck differs. I.e When the vehicle can't move in it's normal manner, without being towed, winched, pushed or other-wise assisted. If you need help, you're stuck.:P (a bit of digging/woodchip for traction/tire cleaning is acceptable in my book though)

"When I used to use a mog that was a different matter nd needed to call in some heavy duty assistants a few times because they are either travelling or proper stuck!" We'd get ours stuck because we'd always try to get it into stupid places, because it's a mog and you can (well we couldn't). The front mounted winch, and a number of pulley blocks, always manged to get us forward and eventually out though.

Edited by Gary Prentice

16 hours ago, HuntingHicap said:

I bought a rough off farm 110 hicap in 2009 from my ex boss for 2250. I have run it hard ever since with regular trips from devon to west sussex and in that time i have replaced the gearbox, transfer box, numerous bearings, rebuilt the top end of the engine, new turbo, some welding, new rad, steering box the list goes on and on. However being handy with spanners and having a mate with a welder meant i have only ever had to pay for parts and beer. in that time it has been a tough dependable workhorse. even when it broke you could usually limp it home. I gave it a respray 4 years ago which tidied up the appearance and sold it three weeks ago for 4200. oh yes, I only sold its as i have bought another one:thumbup:

IMG_20151016_174920.jpg

VOD a Devon Reg too!

18 hours ago, HuntingHicap said:

IMG_20151016_174920.jpg

You list all that and say its a tough dependable work horse :) It must be love !

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So you're only 'stuck' when you have to engage a third party or third party vehicles[emoji38] I'm calling you out on this one.

My definition of stuck differs. I.e When the vehicle can't move in it's normal manner, without being towed, winched, pushed or other-wise assisted. If you need help, you're stuck.[emoji14] (a bit of digging/woodchip for traction/tire cleaning is acceptable in my book though)

"When I used to use a mog that was a different matter nd needed to call in some heavy duty assistants a few times because they are either travelling or proper stuck!" We'd get ours stuck because we'd always try to get it into stupid places, because it's a mog and you can (well we couldn't). The front mounted winch, and a number of pulley blocks, always manged to get us forward and eventually out though.
Was a bit tongue in cheek definitely but when I did a bit of competing with landy the definition of stuck and so penalty points was you couldn't get yourself or team out.
Our mog didn't have a winch unfortunately and was normally really stuck when the chipper effectively became a anchor digging in the ground even at full lift.
  • Like 1