I want a Landy Tipper (Am I insane?)

wjotner

Defenders do what they say on the tin. A dependable permanent 4x4 system, with “tow a mountain low gears” and bags of torque. No fancy electronics controlling the 4x4 system.
Service it like any other work truck / tractor / machine & it will serve you well.

The stage 2 tune done to mine has unleashed a beast with 420Nm torque at low revs...

Think outside the box a bit, these jobs where you believe you HAVE to have a 4wd tipper.   1. Blow it on the ground, convince them to keep the chip for a discount.   2. Tractor and tipping trailer, most farmers will bring a silage trailer and tractor for a reasonable day rate, plus massive capacity and they’ll lose it on the farm somewhere.   3. Articulated loader/compact tractor, bring the wood/branches to the chipper/truck.   4. A box of matches, burn in situ.

5. Wait till spring/summer when the ground is harder, the transit will go most places then.

6. Get a mog or something that’ll do the job properly.

This is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that will set you apart from every other fucker with a Transit tipper and a six inch chipper. I don’t know your exact work but I reread the thread and I’m not sure you need a tipper for so little chip. Maybe think along the lines of a panel van and wheelie bins and supplement that with a quad bike (can live in the panel van) and/or something like a Rav 4 or Vitara. Either or both supplementary vehicles can tow bins of tools or chip off road and be equipped with winches (as can the panel van for that matter, probably giving enough confidence to go a bit off road). Or have one winch that can fit into a receiver on any of the vehicles or be used independently. Whatever. On street jobs, chip into bins, builders’ bags or an old tent/lorry canvas in the back of the van and pull it out with a rope at your chip tip. NB I can lift a 240 litre wheelie bin of wet conifer chip into and out of a panel van and I’m 5’8”, 10.5 stone and dislike exertion. Or get a ramp.  

Tyres make a lot of difference btw. I’ve just driven my panel van up a slope into the garden and will be using it to skid logs tomorrow. It’s raining now and the garden is still wet from the snow etc and muddy from a digger and dumper recently. I’ve done it loads before and never needed towing out. My tyres are only all season road tyres so imagine what you could do with mud terrains.  

Also, Land Rovers are shit.

Think outside the box a bit, these jobs where you believe you HAVE to have a 4wd tipper.

1. Blow it on the ground, convince them to keep the chip for a discount.

2. Tractor and tipping trailer, most farmers will bring a silage trailer and tractor for a reasonable day rate, plus massive capacity and they’ll lose it on the farm somewhere.

3. Articulated loader/compact tractor, bring the wood/branches to the chipper/truck.

4. A box of matches, burn in situ.

5. Wait till spring/summer when the ground is harder, the transit will go most places then.

Number 6
If you think a landy can be a money pit mogs can be a lot worse as parts can be eye watering in price
You can't want a mog you've got to need one and have the right work to pay for it.
  • Like 3

So i want to trade in my reliable, but boring and too large, and shit traction, transit tipper for a sexy, battered old defender tipper.

Everyone says they're awful to drive, breakdown all the time and fuel economy is eye-watering.

So am I being a fool for wanting one so badly?

Have you seen this?
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/landrover-tipper-200tdi/253334528193?_mwBanner=1
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2017 at 17:01, Mick Dempsey said:

Think outside the box a bit, these jobs where you believe you HAVE to have a 4wd tipper.

1. Blow it on the ground, convince them to keep the chip for a discount.

2. Tractor and tipping trailer, most farmers will bring a silage trailer and tractor for a reasonable day rate, plus massive capacity and they’ll lose it on the farm somewhere.

3. Articulated loader/compact tractor, bring the wood/branches to the chipper/truck.

4. A box of matches, burn in situ.

To be honest. I get few off road jobs. But if I did, none of the options you mentioned would be doable in most situations. The other reasons I want a 4x4 is it's smaller and will fit on my drive. The transit is too long and too wide to fit and I can't park it nearby once I move house. I don't want a Mog as that would be EVEN bigger and be impossible to park on almost all of the domestic jobs I do.

I want a 4x4 tipper because: It's more versatile, giving me more options for what jobs I can do. It's smaller so I can park outside my house and i can take it more places. A lot of the tip sites I use are inaccesible to my transit in bad weather (which in North of England is most of the time). Plus I'm getting rid of my car, and downsizing to a single vehicle, which means ,when I need to drive somewhere for non-work stuff, I haven't got to deal with driving my massive crewcab transit around and parking it. And I also, just really want a Landy (they're the sexiest trucks about IMO).

1 hour ago, wjotner said:

To be honest. I get few off road jobs. But if I did, none of the options you mentioned would be doable in most situations. The other reasons I want a 4x4 is it's smaller and will fit on my drive. The transit is too long and too wide to fit and I can't park it nearby once I move house. I don't want a Mog as that would be EVEN bigger and be impossible to park on almost all of the domestic jobs I do.

I want a 4x4 tipper because: It's more versatile, giving me more options for what jobs I can do. It's smaller so I can park outside my house and i can take it more places. A lot of the tip sites I use are inaccesible to my transit in bad weather (which in North of England is most of the time). Plus I'm getting rid of my car, and downsizing to a single vehicle, which means ,when I need to drive somewhere for non-work stuff, I haven't got to deal with driving my massive crewcab transit around and parking it. And I also, just really want a Landy (they're the sexiest trucks about IMO).

There we are, no need for this thread. You have rightly, given your stated requirements, already decided that you want one so the only issue is which one to get for the money you want to spend.

Join the looney landy lovers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane said:

There we are, no need for this thread. You have rightly, given your stated requirements, already decided that you want one so the only issue is which one to get for the money you want to spend.

Join the looney landy lovers. 

Ha ha, fair point. I did really appreciate all the positive and negative comments. My mind wasn't completely made up before, but it is now. But I'll go into it with eyes open to the potential pitfalls of owning a Landy. I may well come to regret it, but so f**king what. Sometimes in life you gotta take some bleedin risks don't you, to get what you want. I switched careers completely from an office job to full time climbing less than 4 years ago. It was a total risk. But it was the best decision I ever made. So, thanks everyone for all your input, it's been genuinely helpful to get all the different opinions.

Sign me up to the Loony Landy club.

• Like 1