I want a Landy Tipper (Am I insane?)

wjotner

We run two Defender 130 tippers, we also have a d Max tipper and a Ford ranger tipper, the d max and ranger have far better comfort but when it comes to their capabilities off road they don’t even come close to the Defenders, the strength of the engine and box when going down hill off road with a weighted trailer, you just can’t compare it with any of the other 4x4’s. If you keep on top off them maintenance wise they are no trouble.

Totally agree with this. I run two landies...the older they are...the more £££ you will throw at them...like most work vehicles. Spending less than £15k on a 130 tipper is going to cost a few grand a year to keep it going.

Defenders hold their value, are easy to repair - you can upgrade and replace every single part, from body panels to engines, axles etc. Try doing that with a Mitsubishi l200 after its warranty runs out or a transit.

I’ve had my 2004 Defender td5 130 tipper for 7 years, it’s got 207K miles on it, it’s had 2x clutches & the original turbo was replaced at 197k miles, yes they go wrong but any hardworking truck will do that, it tows a mountain in all weathers and will retain value longer than a transit, Navarra, canter or related jap truck.

They are so customisable - mine has LED headlights, LazerLamps light bars and a JE Motors Stage 2 tune (200bhp).

• Like 3

I run a transit a ford ranger and a defender 130 all reliable if you follow the service schedule if like some you just let it develop you will get trouble there is more to go wrong with a Landy

do you really need a tipper the extra weight of the gear isa down side 

my Landy has air helpers in the back a must have if you want a reasonable ride 

I do 100 miles a night with a fully laden gritter with no problems just don’t think you are driving formula one!

• Like 1

Everybody gets the itch but the bottom line is that they’re fucking awful.
Couldn't agree more. One long journey will soon put you off them [emoji23] Liverpool to munster Germany and back done it for me.

If your 6ft plus you will bang elbows and knees on everything just by driving like a normal human.

Don't wish to cause any offense but I hate them... Did I make that apparent?

Couldn't agree more. One long journey will soon put you off them [emoji23] Liverpool to munster Germany and back done it for me.

If your 6ft plus you will bang elbows and knees on everything just by driving like a normal human.

Don't wish to cause any offense but I hate them... Did I make that apparent?

Mine was a week or so driving an ex utility 110 roller shutter tool van for a mere two hours a day. On the last day, third or fourth gear disappeared. Explained to the boss back at the yard, expecting him to be angry.
“Don’t worry. They all do that. I’ll just rebuild the gearbox. Probably due soon anyway.”
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, HertsWood said:

Defenders hold their value, are easy to repair - you can upgrade and replace every single part, from body panels to engines, axles etc. Try doing that with a Mitsubishi l200 after its warranty runs out or a transit.

I’ve had my 2004 Defender td5 130 tipper for 7 years, it’s got 207K miles on it, it’s had 2x clutches & the original turbo was replaced at 197k miles, yes they go wrong but any hardworking truck will do that, it tows a mountain in all weathers and will retain value longer than a transit, Navarra, canter or related jap truck.

They are so customisable - mine has LED headlights, LazerLamps light bars and a JE Motors Stage 2 tune (200bhp).

This is one of the attractions for me too. I fully expect to have to spend money on it over the years. The difference is, I'd rather have a vehicle that's worth looking after and giving some love to like a good old Landy, rather than a bleeding transit, which is not worth spending anything on other essentials to keep on road.

20 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You are utterly delusional, all this ‘giving love to a good old landy’ for love read money and downtime.

Your budget will get you an absolute money pit.

You are probably right. 

What other affordable alternatives are out there in the 4x4 market?

Think outside the box a bit, these jobs where you believe you HAVE to have a 4wd tipper.

1. Blow it on the ground, convince them to keep the chip for a discount.

2. Tractor and tipping trailer, most farmers will bring a silage trailer and tractor for a reasonable day rate, plus massive capacity and they’ll lose it on the farm somewhere.

3. Articulated loader/compact tractor, bring the wood/branches to the chipper/truck.

4. A box of matches, burn in situ.

5. Wait till spring/summer when the ground is harder, the transit will go most places then.

6. Get a mog or something that’ll do the job properly.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3