I want a Landy Tipper (Am I insane?)

wjotner

Nothing wrong with a landy if you are reasonably handy with a spanner and prepared to carry out your own maintenance, buy a good one and keep oil in everything that should have it and it will go on for years. Have two here that are past the 300k point that are still running well on  the original  engines,axles and gearboxes. One other that has had a transfer box and gearbox  that is about it , other than service items and keeping the doors from falling apart there have been no issues , not bad considering the clowns that drive them. Certainly no worse on the reliability front than any of the other 4x4`s we run and are a darn site easier/cheaper to source parts for.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
fat fingers, incontinence and senile dementia :)

50 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Nothing wrong with a landy if you are reasonably handy with a spanner and prepared to carry out your own maintenance, buy a good one and keep oil in everything that should have it and it will go on for years. Have two here that are past the 300k point that are still running well on  the original  engines,axles and gearboxes. One other that has had a transfer box and gearbox  that is about it , other than service items and keeping the doors from falling apart there have been no issues , not bad considering the clowns that drive them. Certainly no worse on the reliability front than any of the other 4x4`s we run and are a darn site easier/cheaper to source parts for.

Bob

Thanks. Finally some positives. To be honest, I've basically already decided i want one. I was just hoping for some positive points so i could justify to my boss (the wife) why i want to ditch a perfectly good, but dull and bulky transit for a battered old landy.

• Like 1

If you can ,try and get too drive a 130 loaded up towing a chipper... and then have a think about if you can live with that .... a transit in comparison is pure luxury .. if you do get a Landy get as new as possible or one with a galv chassis that’s had every bit of suspension and brake replaced or uprated... there are plenty of dogs out there so be careful.
We run one Landy it’s newish but the brakes are awful , it wallows is noisy and even if you fix all though the cab is cramped no getting away from it.. I would rather take one of our l200’s.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wjotner said:

Thanks. Finally some positives. To be honest, I've basically already decided i want one. I was just hoping for some positive points so i could justify to my boss (the wife) why i want to ditch a perfectly good, but dull and bulky transit for a battered old landy.

That’s the spirit, wait long enough to get the answer you wanted.

You won’t be dissuaded, which is fair enough I guess.

• Like 1

As long as you NEED a 4x4 and a transit will not fit on your drive its only a question of which 4x4.

Landrovers are as reliable as you make them. I've done a lot to mine, bust mostly paranoid preventative stuff.

I have improved the comfort in mine by fitting heated seats and offsetting them 3 inches towards the centre.

I can now drive comfortably without having to have my right arm out of the window.

I also replaced the lazy heater blower with a bilge vent blower which was a great improvement. The issues of payload are largely academic as it would apply to any 4x4.

I can honestly say that my defender starts brilliantly, even in mid winter. I don't even have to wait for the glow plugs! I personally like it more than my transit,. With the winch, knobbly tyres and fully plated roof rack it is also quite a successful advertising tool for the company. 

You may as well get one, nobody on here can stop you! 

Just don't think the only time you will touch it will be when you are driving - it can become a lifestyle.

Remember - 85% of all landrovers are still on the road, the other 15% have arrived at their destination.

• Like 1

Another thing to think about is they are highly steal able I’ve heard of at least one a week disappearing around here... make sure your not buying a ringer and your investment has some good security/cut off switches and the like along with pedal clamps!

• Like 1

I absolutely love land rovers! But IMO a tipper is a waste of time! Awful to drive and you can hardy get a decent load on the back legally. If running two vehicles and still needing a 4x4 as one of them? A decent tipping trailer is much more useful?

My landy handles well on its heavy duty suspension, tippers and cherry pickers just wallow around and try and kill you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Get one.

Then when you get a Transit tipper again you will really appreciate it.

9 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Yes.

^^^ This!

Im a landy fan but would not run one as a main vehicle especially for a new business (as i understand you are)

You'll pretty much half your m3 payload yet handle that half load worse!

Parts are cheap (thats good, as you'll be replacing parts often) Down time aint cheap or even free though.

If the transits too big i'd look at a toyota dyna or older nissan cabstar.

The getting stuck in snow - how often does the uk have snow days, how much £ would you loose taking those days off and how much extra £ does it take to run a defender with less m3 over the year? probably substantially cheaper to have those days off with family and earn brownie points!

Most landys are money pits and most are triggers brooms!

But you'll probably need to have one to get the idea out of your system, hopefully you're not bankrupt when you come to your senses :lol:

But i still have a soft spot for defenders :$

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Percytopliss said:

I absolutely love land rovers! But IMO a tipper is a waste of time! Awful to drive and you can hardy get a decent load on the back legally. If running two vehicles and still needing a 4x4 as one of them? A decent tipping trailer is much more useful?

My landy handles well on its heavy duty suspension, tippers and cherry pickers just wallow around and try and kill you!

I have limited space to store. A tipping trailer would take up too much space and would prevent me using a chipper.

11 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

If the transits too big i'd look at a toyota dyna or older nissan cabstar.

Most landys are money pits and most are triggers brooms!

But you'll probably need to have one to get the idea out of your system, hopefully you're not bankrupt when you come to your senses :lol:

But i still have a soft spot for defenders :$

I think you're probably right on all points. But i want a 4x4. If it take 1 to 1.5 ton of chip, that would be enough for 90% of my jobs currently. So not worried about that. I'd consider getting a Ford Ranger tipper, or similar. But would they be able to carry as much as a landy 130 or 110 hicap?

I run a couple of defenders ( cherry picker & HCPU tipper ) I wouldn’t say there unreliable in fact I’d say there totally reliable ( simple ) there not the most  comfortable vehicle but there not ment to be, there a ruff rugged work horse 

I will say a 30 mile journey feels like 300 

and I wouldn’t replace my iveco daily with one  but there ideal to run along side it 

diesel wise there ok 

Do you need one or want one ? I do jobs where only a 4x4 is needed but 90% of my work is normal trucks 

good image and customers seem to like them 

mine have winches and insa turbo  special track tyres so when off road they don’t get embarrassed