I want a Landy Tipper (Am I insane?)

wjotner

So i want to trade in my reliable, but boring and too large, and shit traction, transit tipper for a sexy, battered old defender tipper.

Everyone says they're awful to drive, breakdown all the time and fuel economy is eye-watering.

So am I being a fool for wanting one so badly?

They are pretty crap, BUT a very sound investment.

My mates was stollen, at the time of the theft it was worth around £4.5K. The insurance buggered about, suggesting fraud etc, which was utter nonsense. By the time they payed him out, several months later, he got over £8K O.o

I guess like land they ain't making any more. 

• Like 1

A Landy is like a cheating wife , you want things to go well and when they do you are very happy !! Then without warning it’ll let you down and keep letting you down no matter how much money you shower on it . 

Some guys put up with it some don’t!!

Eventually you will come to your senses and get rid of the bitch . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Get one.

Then when you get a Transit tipper again you will really appreciate it.

I think you're probably right. But i hate the transit. It's too big, and I won't be able to park it at my new house I'm moving to (won't fit on drive). Plus, cos i live in peak district, when it snows, i don't trust the transit on the roads, as well as most of my tip sites being muddy in winter, I have to be careful about when I can take my transit there. I'd be much happier with a 4x4 which is a bit smaller, so i can get rid of my car too. 

If Defenders are so crap, why do they hold their value so well? What other car/van would sell for £5K to £6K with 180K on clock and 20 years old? They must being doing something right?

Sounds like you need a 4x4 alright.

I live on the flatlands in Kent now, AT tyres on the rears of the Transit helped me, but won’t be enough for you.

I used to drive 110 and 130 tippers at work, they are just so bloody unrefined and uncomfortable. Load space was fairly limited as well (although so is the Transit’s, legally ?)

Awesome off road though, and always fixable.

The value thing is a plus, if you buy one and really hate it you can always punt it on for the same money.

I’d be tempted by a more modern Jap 4x4 tipper, but I don’t think any of them are as reliable as they’re made out to be.

It’s a tough one for sure.

• Like 1

I have all ways ran a Landy first was a 109 series 2A which still stands in the next village then a 110 ex mod which was a cracking truck now its a 130 tipper. I only travel short distance for work but in me work land rover is the only truck which works for me.

In all the times i have ran them only had 2 clutch's a few UJ's Swivels on front axle and 1 Diff. O and the odd bit of welding if you look after them they may look after you, but all truck break down at some point.     

• Like 1