I want a Landy Tipper (Am I insane?)

wjotner

33 minutes ago, wjotner said:

That's way outta my league. I'm talking about spending £5 to £7K max. Which basically means, buy a shit pick up for £3K and spend £2 or £3K on conversion, or buy an even shitter tipper for about £6 or £7K.

Oh, that changes it then. 

Aspenarb suggested that older ones are okay if you are handy with spanners. Probably his version of "handy with spanners" and other peoples is very different. Having looked at his pictures it would appear he is good at machine and vehicle maintenance.

That kind of money will buy you a world of pain and trouble unless you have access to and know how to use the 'spanners'

• Like 1

I own transit tippers, hilux tippers, defender tippers and defender cherry pickers and I can honestly say apart from the general wear and tear like brakes, tyres, and the odd oil leak [emoji23] they are very reliable. Ours are used daily, but serviced regularly so anything that needs doing gets done. I personally love driving mine. They are cramped with little space the doors don’t shut properly, little bits fall off now and then, but they tow like a train compared to the hilux’s and l200’s. I wouldn’t be without one. Buy one and enjoy using it, enjoy driving it. But most of all get the right 4x4 Tipper set up for your business. Shop around and get the newest one you can afford be it 300tdi, td5 or tdci. Good luck

• Like 2

The 300  tdi is older, cheaper, less powerful and less complex than the td5. 

If (big word) you can find a decent 300 then you have a decent base to work with.

The comments on here show that they are the ultimate 'marmite' vehicle.

Main things to watch for are rusty rear chassis and tin-worm in the bulkhead usually in the top corners by the windscreen brackets. You can replace anything but parts such as galvanised chassis have doubled in price over recent years. Spares are becoming more expensive as the vehicles become more collectable. People are restoring any old shite now rather than selling them off for spares.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

My 110 tipper is a great truck for following around behind the mog for carrying kit and rake up, it’s handy for a second team to head out in doing smaller jobs with a 6inch towbehind or hedge cutting

drives terribly fully loaded

wouldnt want one as my sole vehicle and still gets stuck with a load on

• Like 1

We run two Defender 130 tippers, we also have a d Max tipper and a Ford ranger tipper, the d max and ranger have far better comfort but when it comes to their capabilities off road they don’t even come close to the Defenders, the strength of the engine and box when going down hill off road with a weighted trailer, you just can’t compare it with any of the other 4x4’s. If you keep on top off them maintenance wise they are no trouble.

• Like 1