PLEASE COMMENT

Brackley Firewood

You definitely do need a tacho if you’re delivering with a trailer. Forestry exemptions for trailers don’t apply for delivering logs to end users as it’s a commercial use. Any truck over 3.5t GTW also needs a tacho if used for the same purpose I believe.

If you produced the logs yourself from your own forestry operations or arb work then you could transport them home but as soon as you do it commercially you need one.

Also I find our customers would far rather have a bit of brash left over in a bag than tipped all over their drive to have to sweep up.

Some like it tipped but it’s just as easy to tip a bag out as it is to tip a trailer.

Tipped loads are generally fine for seasoned wood to load into a log store but bagged is simpler for kiln dried as it can just be stored in the garage.
You and the customer both know exactly the quantity and you’re all on the same page, a tipped load could easily be different unless you loaded with a measured bucket.

Tacos is over 100kms from base if own goods
i have a court appearance to prove this 
taco will cost you 1,200£ to fit to a pick up so you would need to get caught 4 times before its paid for it self 

That’s interesting to know, doesn’t read that way to me on the exempt rule guidance but fair enough, we only travel about 25 miles max so trailer could certainly be an option.

I know other suppliers round us have been hit by vosa a few times over it.

Carriage of own goods within 100kms with pickup and trailer from base is fine 

soon as start to finish is outside of this you need a taco 

it is unlikely you will need to go further than a 100kms to deliver logs 

its 100ks as the crow flies 

I got caught within the 100ks but as I was honest and told them my final destination i still got done for it 

advice is 

draw a 100k circle on google so you know your limit 

if your going out of that circle have a water tight excuse eg my final destination is within the 100k but I took a wrong turn, lie lie lie, don't tell the truth for one second if you know your in the wrong

avoid services where you might get trapped by vosa, usually they hide on the lorry car park exit 

if you get the follow me lights from a vosa van then try and hatch a escape plan because you will get shafted, vosa are not there to educate advise,  and give you a warning, they will fine you to the highest extent they can 

I am on a small scale 100-150 bags a year that is all I have time for with other work commitments. I personally feel that you do better selling them in bags people don't grasp the quantity in a loose load which on my transit pick up is 4 builders bags . I get on average 55 a bag for my arb arisings so 220 a load you will struggle to get this you may get 190 if you are lucky. I can also carry 6 bags on the truck so it also reduces mileage I try and group my deliveries so I go out fully loaded. I make crates up out of the timber from plasterboard pallets they measure w2.4mxd1.2mxh1.8m I just cover the top with good quality visqueen and they dry lovely. Out of the crates of stacked neat logs I get 8 bags which should give you an idea of volume with bought in crates.  So I agree buy in a few crates to sell on or see if any members on hear could sell you a bulk load of ready to sell then start and get some arb arisings and get splitting for next season . 

• Like 1