Sharpening

Harry_L

• 3 weeks later...

If this is the right place to ask: my chain sharpening question is how to deal with sharpening when a brand new 7/32" file set in an Oregon file holder and used at the correct angles on the correct sized chain/teeth will not bite into the metal of the teeth. The file skids over the metal and gets blunted (reflects light from the tips of its 'blades').

Sharpening chainsaw teeth with a file has worked these past 39 years, so what's gone wrong? Could the teeth become so work hardened that the fille won't penetrate them?

The chain is harder than the file,  that's your conclusion.

Is it the chain that's too hard ? Could be,  if the chain has been sharpened with a grinder and grinding stone hasn't been dressed, it will generate a lot of heat,  the tooth shows the steel tempering colours (or worse) and can become very hard as a result.

But equally the file might not be up to the job. You didn't mention a brand so does that mean its of unknown origin? Even if the chain were extremely hard i wouldn't expect to see wear on the file unless it's used extensively.

All assuming a regular chain material,  not one of the carbide tooth jobs.

Try the old file. Try the new file on another chain.  Get some new files. ... you'll get to an answer quicker than waiting for a response. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Heaf said:

If this is the right place to ask: my chain sharpening question is how to deal with sharpening when a brand new 7/32" file set in an Oregon file holder and used at the correct angles on the correct sized chain/teeth will not bite into the metal of the teeth. The file skids over the metal and gets blunted (reflects light from the tips of its 'blades').

Sharpening chainsaw teeth with a file has worked these past 39 years, so what's gone wrong? Could the teeth become so work hardened that the fille won't penetrate them?

I had the same happen to me when asked to sharpen a customer's chains for his firewood saw, chains were badly damaged from cutting the ground and were of unknown make, And were really really hard and new file did nothing. I put it down to work hardening but could have been the cheap chain.

4 hours ago, David Heaf said:

Assuming you've tried another file, try sharpening a few strokes on each tooth at more of an angle (30 instead of 25 for example) then a few more strokes at the correct angle. 

Or just get another chain if it's not an easy fix. I've stopped trying to save as many damaged chains now and it's cheaper to buy a new one a lot of the time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Case hardening, running them blunt does that. Chuck them away.

Technically  its " work hardening " .   Case hardening would involve heating the chain to cherry red , dipping it in " Kasenett " a carbon compound , then heating it again to make the carbon penetrate  the surface on the steel , then quenching . ? But yea . Chuck it away ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1