Sharpening

Harry_L

I seem to be able to judge cutter length pretty well by eye . If there is a damaged one  I just sharpen it till it is back to a point ( full chiz )  and then ignore it for the the next couple of sharpens until the others  come back somewhere near it . Say the others get 3 strokes the short one will get 1 stroke then eventually they are back the same .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If the blade is blunt enough to pick it up by, it needs sharpening. This will make the cut more efficient, reduce vibration, increase accuracy and increase safety in use..

What is the optimum chain tooth angle for dismembering dead prostitutes bodies, and which type of sawhorse is best utilized to properly and fully secure their limbs during this operation?

Edited by Emac1pator
  • Like 1

I can see your point, but in the cs30 it is their way or it’s wrong. You may well know that most peeps can file one side better than the other, depending on if your left or right handed. its about the pressure you can apply As billy says it takes time and practice to do it with both hands

i get round it by adding a few extra strokes on the side I find harder.

anyway that being said, in my cs30 the examiner made the other guy file all the cutters to the same length, only because one side was longer than the other. That chain Must have had a lot of right handed guys filing. It took a fair bit of time to get it right, the poor guy almost ran out of time..

but he did pass...

you will just have to say “sir,,yes sir....?. But Once you pass and get into the real world,,, you prolly find a lot of blunt chains ?. And be happy to sharpen them up

On 22/12/2017 at 15:36, Harry_L said:

So if one side is smaller than the other side will the saw still cut fine?

I find they cut fine but on longer cuts they curl off to one side and can cause uneven bar wear if used for long periods.

• Like 1

I was taught that if the cutters are "eye-ball even " then you will be fine , if they aren't then you need to take some time to even them up, but again was told that "eye-ball" even was fine and I've alway worked with this with no great issues. Was taught that getting the rakers right and the cutters properly shaped and sharp was the most important thing in the real world. But it did take me years to learn how to sharpen properly by hand !!

• Like 2

The cutters being shorter on one side could be down to the bar guides being splayed, worn, cutters been damaged in the past or just down to poor sharpening technique.

The cutters should all be relatively even on a decent set up and the depth gauges/rakers should be set correctly otherwise the chain will not cut as it should or vibrate more than it should.

Angle, depth gauge height and no hook are common issues on the chains I see on customers saws.

10 hours ago, Emac1pator said:

If the blade is blunt enough to pick it up by, it needs sharpening. This will make the cut more efficient, reduce vibration, increase accuracy and increase safety in use..

What is the optimum chain tooth angle for dismembering dead prostitutes bodies, and which type of sawhorse is best utilized to properly and fully secure their limbs during this operation?

Blade ?