Budget barn build

Little Butch

There's been a few good threads on here before, full of pictures to nick ideas from, here's one

If it's an exposed site don't forget you will need plenty bracing for the wind, stick some diagonals in the corners.

I think it could only be classed as temporary if it was able to be dragged or lifted and moved. I'm sure there's been a lot of sheds built without the right permissions. Personally, if it's out the way of others, I don't see the harm.

Here's an idea, what about a pallet base surrounded by heras fencing 2 panels by 2 panels which gives 7mx7m, leave the front open or maybe just one panel leaving a 3.5m door with some sheeting as a roof?

Maybe have to put a few straps around it to stop the wood pushing the sides out?

To stop the pile going mouldy, maybe a few 'bays' seperate by pallets to let the air flow through.

5 minutes ago, Little Butch said:

Here's an idea, what about a pallet base surrounded by heras fencing 2 panels by 2 panels which gives 7mx7m, leave the front open or maybe just one panel leaving a 3.5m door with some sheeting as a roof?

Maybe have to put a few straps around it to stop the wood pushing the sides out?

To stop the pile going mouldy, maybe a few 'bays' seperate by pallets to let the air flow through.

I did this. You will need to ratchet strap all four panels and throw the logs in over the top unless you have a processor. Once you open one of the panels (when the cage is more than about half full) you won't get it to shut again, well I couldn't. It worked well.

Farmer has no spare barns but I'm free to use the land I had in mind. Going to build something out of timber that'll hold 20 cube now and see how it works out. 

How big a pile can I have without the wood not drying properly? I wanted to have each bay 2.4mx2.4m X about 2m high. Too big a pile? Sat on pallets and spaced cladding on the sides. 

44 minutes ago, Little Butch said:

Farmer has no spare barns but I'm free to use the land I had in mind. Going to build something out of timber that'll hold 20 cube now and see how it works out. 

How big a pile can I have without the wood not drying properly? I wanted to have each bay 2.4mx2.4m X about 2m high. Too big a pile? Sat on pallets and spaced cladding on the sides. 

I pile the logs in a barn in a huge pile but chuck pallets in as spacers every 3ft or so. Sides are all open and the wood dries very well

Replacement shed with 8b1866fb13e655cc3fe914ecbacb012c.jpg36db07a94de9334aeac60d05b07d12e1.jpgBT poles and I’m guessing around 7-10 tonne (was a long time ago) of larch and Douglas through the mill.

I recon this alone payed for a second hand mill what we saved in timber costs.

5d30bb75653f17e62b09b6d725b05e7e.jpg

f3df9a816f35986472adcb85dd3b6fd7.jpg

Another drying shed project built out of scraps, the post stones I found buried so thought would be an interesting feature... roof out of of bits of western red cedar cut for shingles, another learning curve!

Edit photos wrong way around !

• Like 2