Going bigger than the small log mill

stewmo

You can buy spares from Rob D which would enable you to convert the small log mill to an Alaskan mill with uprights at both ends. I converted mine to a 24 inch Alaskan that way. But I already had a spare upright. If you had to buy that, plus rails, etc. might not be much cheaper than buying a new mill? 

Are you aiming to mill larger trees and are OK with planks that are not waney edged? If so, an option is to buy a mini mill and cut the sides off a log to make it narrower and suitable for the small log mill. 

Andrew

You can buy spares from Rob D which would enable you to convert the small log mill to an Alaskan mill with uprights at both ends. I converted mine to a 24 inch Alaskan that way. But I already had a spare upright. If you had to buy that, plus rails, etc. might not be much cheaper than buying a new mill? 

Are you aiming to mill larger trees and are OK with planks that are not waney edged? If so, an option is to buy a mini mill and cut the sides off a log to make it narrower and suitable for the small log mill. 

Andrew

Cheers bud.
Good to know someone has done it. I always like to use up what I’ve got rather than buy new stuff.
Basically I’ve got a bigger saw now, a 576xp and am wondering about going up to 24’ or 25’.
Think with the tip being held in the mill it will also make for more accurate boards as the small log mill does drift at maximum reach. What’s the maximum width of board with your 24’ mill?
I’m not too fussed about waney on both edges, I often take a skim and then rotate the log if it’s too wide. It’s rare you need both edges waney I would have thought?!

I use a 28 inch bar and the max board width is about 20 inches. So, not much more than the Small Log mill, but more accurate as the bar is supported at both ends. Just noticed on Rob D's website that there is now a conversion kit available.

Andrew

Cool. I’ll check it out [emoji106][emoji106]

I use a 28 inch bar and the max board width is about 20 inches. So, not much more than the Small Log mill, but more accurate as the bar is supported at both ends. Just noticed on Rob D's website that there is now a conversion kit available.

Andrew

What size saw are you using. Just thinking 28’ could be too big for my Husky 576xp...any thoughts? Cheers

I now use an MS661 with the 28 inch bar which cuts pretty quick. But when I first converted the mill, I was using an MS391 with a 25 inch bar despite the max recommended bar being 20 inches for that saw. My thoughts at that time and confirmed by others on the forum was that in the mill, the 25 inch bar would be cutting a maximum of 18 to 20 inches of timber and with a good rip chain that worked fine although a bit slow at the max width of cut. I upgraded to the MS661 when I had a fairly large amount of timber to mill which justified the expense (investment?). Not sure about your Husky but someone on here should be able to give advice about the max bar length.

Andrew