Help to get free firewood

Herron2017

How much effort are you wanting to put into the free wood if you get any offers? The more processed it is the more valuable it is. So you are unlikely to get kiln dried spit and ready to burn logs for free, more likely to get fresh off the tree logs  which are wet, will need to be sawn to length then split, and stored for a year to dry. Do you want the logs from a nice pile, drive in load the car, drive out again out are you willing to collect them from where they lie. Wil softwood be OK for you - many people turn their noses up at it, and OK you might need twice the quantity and refuel the stove twice as often (and it will die away quicker once you leave the house) but more likely to get free wood if it is less commercially viable.

Have you looked on Gumtree - every now and then there are adverts for free wood, local facebook groups sometimes (and even put an advert on both saying you want logs for firewood (people will confuse old pallets as suitable for a wood burning stove)

what about local community land owning groups  - community woodlands might be able to help out but you might have to volunteer.. with a chainsaw and take what they clear. Lcoaltree surgeons and if you can take wood from site or dumped from the back of their van / trailer onto a drive makes it easier for them.

However my view, wood is rarely free but it should be cheaper than electricity or gas.. if you can get a supply and can store it and acquire it in bulk then you should be able to get some and maybe a regular supplier.

Me, I get some of mine from where the local council tips wood chip (they store it there and use in the parks and so on)  the pieces that won't fit through the chipper are left on one side as waste, 24 beer a year for the employees and I get heating for a few months. I have to work for them, chainsaw to length and often splitting 18" to 24" knotted but I don't want to only take the good stuff, I'll take it all to help them reduce the number of skips to take it away each year.

• Like 5

If you have the space to take loads of wood chip too then I find tree surgeons are often keen to get rid of it and often have a few logs too but it’s stuff that needs cutting, splitting and seasoning so hardly free.

I’m in East Sussex and have a few regulars who get rid of waste which I use to mulch paths and trees but then I’m lucky to have the space and access